Key Largo April Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Blue-13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We're heading to Key Largo for a few days of diving with Rainbow Reef next month.

I've never been to the Keys so obviously have never dove there. Anything I should be aware of, any advice, tips, or recommendations?

You made the same choice we did on our first trip down to Key Largo. We chose to dive with Rainbow Reef Dive Center and 17 years later, we're still happy with our choice and still diving with Rainbow Reef :)

They have a great staff and lots of helpful folks who are more than happy to share tips and information with you. Be aware that the Keys are practicing Covid safety - masks are required. We haven't been down since Covid issues became a thing, but we are planning a visit and I feel confident it will be just as much fun as usual.

Rainbow Reef puts guides in the water with you, so your first experience in Key Largo will be stress-free with someone to show you around and point out the interesting things to see. Key Largo is so full of underwater life. You're sure to enjoy some great diving!

Assuming it's like when I went in 2013, a few thoughts...

1.) If you want to do the deep wreck morning dives, like the Spiegel Grove and Duane, you'll need AOW cert. If you've got a strong log book, that might suffice, but check with them if that's an issue.

2.) The mooring lines from float to wreck can have sea life growing on them. At the time I assumed they were barnacles; someone else said something about 'razor clams.' Either way, be ready to watch where you put your hands going up and down the line, and if you'd prefer, a pair of thin gloves might be nice.

3.) It's not a sandy beach destination. I hear you can find some of that down in Marathon.

It was a really sweet destination and I'd like to make it back someday. I don't know what April conditions tend to be like.

Assuming it's like when I went in 2013, a few thoughts...

1.) If you want to do the deep wreck morning dives, like the Spiegel Grove and Duane, you'll need AOW cert. If you've got a strong log book, that might suffice, but check with them if that's an issue.

2.) The mooring lines from float to wreck can have sea life growing on them. At the time I assumed they were barnacles; someone else said something about 'razor clams.' Either way, be ready to watch where you put your hands going up and down the line, and if you'd prefer, a pair of thin gloves might be nice.

3.) It's not a sandy beach destination. I hear you can find some of that down in Marathon.

It was a really sweet destination and I'd like to make it back someday. I don't know what April conditions tend to be like.
April tends to be windy !

You made the same choice we did on our first trip down to Key Largo. We chose to dive with Rainbow Reef Dive Center and 17 years later, we're still happy with our choice and still diving with Rainbow Reef :)

They have a great staff and lots of helpful folks who are more than happy to share tips and information with you. Be aware that the Keys are practicing Covid safety - masks are required. We haven't been down since Covid issues became a thing, but we are planning a visit and I feel confident it will be just as much fun as usual.

Rainbow Reef puts guides in the water with you, so your first experience in Key Largo will be stress-free with someone to show you around and point out the interesting things to see. Key Largo is so full of underwater life. You're sure to enjoy some great diving!

X2 for what my friend from Louisiana said about Rainbow Reef! Awesome Captains and Dive Staff!

We’re good on that front. Both of us are AOW and Nitrox certified. We are slated to do both the SG and Duane.

Good info on the barnacles/razor clams. Some gloves may have to find their way in to our dive bag.

Thank you. For the most part their reviews are really good. I only know 1 person that used them and he was very happy with his experience. This our decision to use them for this trip.

I've used them and enjoy their operation.

Yes, use gloves when doing the deep wrecks.

They offer free guides and I use them, but it's not required to use guides.

I tip $20 per trip ($10 per tank)

Be aware they have 2 dive boat locations. They are near but on opposite sides of the canal. About a 5 minute drive. Make sure you know the location of your boats.

They also have a 3rd location which is their dive store. After your dives you can "spin the wheel" for free and win anything from $5 off a Tshirt, to free nitrox tank rentals, to free dives.

I have some 70+ dives with RR. Most recently in January. You’ll love it. RR is highly recommended for a reason. Their crew are top notch and their boats are big and comfortable.

If you’re there for several days plan on diving the Spiegel more than once. It’s a massive ship and it can’t all be seen in one dive. I’d pass on Christ Statue - it’s cool but there are much better dive sites to explore off Largo.

Definitely hit Sharkey’s on Caribbean drive for an after dive happy hour. Mrs. Macs is a great spot for lunch or dinner. Another great dinner spot is Black Water Siren off the causeway. You’re going to enjoy Key Largo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom