Key Largo (and NJ) recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least in Key Largo you may find a variety of options; narrowing your preferences down may help. I enjoyed diving with Rainbow Reef Dive Center (only one there I dove with) years ago; it was a pretty big boat, and provided guide service (at times 2 guides so groups weren't too large) at no added charge.

I've seen people speak well of Quiescence in the past, mentioning smaller boats and fewer passengers, no free guide service but then not everybody wants that.

What I'm getting at, is do you prefer larger boats, or smaller '6-pack' type operators, and does guide service matter?

I've read several testimonials about the excellence of Conch Republic Divers on Scuba Board over the years. To maintain such a fine reputation is an accomplishment.

Richard.
Thanks for the reply, drrich2 - all good stuff.
Big or small - boat size not a great concern. Went out w/RR once many years ago when they had a kiosk/shack right by the boats at the MM100 canal. Nice op, friendly folks. Guide service not really of interest.
Quiescence hasn't changed in 25 years, AFA I can tell - still fantastic. Many experiences with them - all great! I'll be looking them up.
Ditto CRD; I'll be going out with them as well. Did my first "deep" dive, ~110' with them on the Eagle a quarter century ago (before it got bent - LOL).
Again, thanks.

Where to start...
First, thanks for all the replies and good info. So...
Conch Republic Divers always have been super; I'll be seeing them again for sure. Quiescence is also great; run good six-packs and are also very safety conscious.
Wanna try RR (and see how their acquired O.D. assets changed their op) again. (BTW, who's in the old OD building alongside Sharkey's?) And SW has been good since Chris went back home, IMO. HMS Minnow was always a personal favorite both during and since Jeff's tenure.
Lastly (NJ stuff, others ignore), the Gypsy is a great boat; big and roomy. I dove with them out of Barnegat. Good to know they're available in PP.

Excellent post Caruso! I also dive with Conch Republic almost exclusively, for all the reasons you mentioned. It is just a much more relaxed and enjoyable experience.

*edit - fixed typo

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom