Keramas vs. Ishigaki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floyd2466

Reaction score
Just got back from a 3-day, 9-dive trip to Okinawa. Having already been to Ishigaki, I thought I'd quickly post my comparisons.

I was actually very surprised on lots of levels by the Keramas, just off Okinawa. Although they are not too far from Ishigaki, the diving is completely different. Whereas Ishigaki is your archetypal tropical diving spot with light waters, lots of brightly coloured coral and millions of fish, the Keramas are far less colourful. The coral is not particularly bright and I was constantly surprised at how few fish there were (that's not to say there weren't any, just not in the abundance that you see round Ishigaki).

However, the Keramas more than make up for it by the amazing royal blue colour of the water (it really is quite special), great visability, and fantastic scenery, including some incredible walls. I suddenly realised that too much colour and too many fish can distract you from being able to enjoy the 'macro' view, which in the Keramas really is spectacular.

Trying to say which is better is meaningless because the diving in both places is really quite fundamentally different. Essentially, I would describe Ishigaki as 'colourful', but the Keramas as 'dramatic'.

However, even if you do prefer lots of colour, I really would recommend you try and make it to the Keramas - you will not be disappointed!

By the way, we went with Reef Encounters - great guys, great service and great prices! Very definately recommend them to anybody!

havent had the chance to go to the mainland yet, but I was in Ishigaki last week for two days of diving. I thought it was great!

Here are some photos I took

I

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom