Kent Island Scuba (MD): Local Boat Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barnaby'sDad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone hit up Kent Island Scuba for a local boat dive? I'll be up that way this weekend and decided to go ahead and sign up for one of their half-day dive trips.

I spoke with Brad on the phone yesteday. He sounds like a good guy. I'm looking forward to checking out the operation. They're close enough to me that if I have a good time...I can see running up there on a regular basis.

Just curious if anyone has any feedback. ex. What to expect, what to bring or not bring, etc. I saw their list on the website, so I have a general idea of what to bring. This will be my first boat dive trip and my first post-certification dive, so looking for all the information I can get.:cheers:

I haven't been out with them yet. Please report back how it goes!

Unfortunately, the boat trip is off for today due to high winds in the area. They were good enough to provide plenty of notice though.

I'll be up there this afternoon anyways. If I can break free, I'm going to try and swing by the shop, check it out, and pick up a couple things.

Better luck next time.

I wasn't able to get out to a quarry this weekend and wanted to dive, so I decided to drive up to Kent Island. It was a chilly morning (23* on the dash when I fired the truck up), but it was approaching 40* by the time I made it to the dive shop.

I got there early and hung out with Brad, discussed gear (I needed a flashlight), and he topped off my tank while we waited for the other divers to arrive.

I was impressed with the boat. It was my first boat dive and I found getting my gear situated to be easy enough. It has a nice ladder and benches.

By the time we got to the dock and headed out on the water, it had warmed up a bit and it was clear that it was going to be a nice day. The picture below was taken on the way to the dive site.

o0uA2pb.jpg

The water temperature was 54*. With a 5mm suit, hood, gloves, and boots...I was plenty warm enough though. The visibility was less than ideal at 4'. There was also a "moderate" current at and near the surface. The current didn't seem bad at depth.

I managed to go through my tank quicker than I was expecting. I assume that was due to having to exert myself on more than a couple occasions dealing with the current.

The maximum depth for the dive was 19' with 16' my average. As expected, with 4' visibility, I didn't see much. I was doing good just to keep track of the DM/dive buddy (below). In similar conditions...I'll have to work better next time to stay next to a dive buddy, rather than trailing.

pBP72l2.jpg

One interesting thing I saw after going back through my poor quality/shaky GoPro footage (I left the camera running and didn't hold it) is that it looked like I passed by a stingray (or something similar in appearance). The GF was making fun of me while I was looking over the video and asking if she saw it..."you sound like one of those ghost hunter shows.":rofl3: Below is what may or may not be a stingray.:popcorn:

n2A0CXl.jpg

Brad said that they'd most likely hit a different site next weekend, so I'm looking forward to checking that one out. They were upfront that the visibility can be a bit hit or miss. ex. The site that we hit can vary from what I saw to 10'+.

For my first boat dive...I'll say that it was a learning experience. I did a LOT of research online to see what I should and shouldn't bring. I thought I had done a good job of cutting down what I was planning on bringing, but from the experience of hauling the stuff onto the boat and having to sort through items post-dive...I can see that there's some room for improvement.

ex. Dive gear. I had a big/clunky GoPro housing with filters. For a shallow dive, the basic housing (less than 1/3 of the weight) would have been just fine. That and ditch the backpack LCD screen.

I'm looking forward to getting back out there with Brad's crew next weekend. Hopefully with a bit less current and a bit more visibility.:cheers:

Saw a few little jellyfish floating around today. The water was 49*. I won't do that again unless I go to a dry suit at some point.

I had a good time and got to buddy-up with my OW instructor, so that was cool. Some more experience diving in low visibility, too. Visibility was about the same as last week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom