Kelp Bug?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vegan Shark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
After becoming a swamp monster entangled in kelp at Point Lobos all day, I wasn't surprised when I saw a piece of kelp in my mask while floating back at the surface--until I went to move the kelp out and it started moving, a dozen legs and all. I'd rather see a great white coming at me than find a bug inside my mask, crawling on my face while at depth, so I'm glad it happened at the surface, but does anyone know what animal this was? I can't find anything with simple Google searches.

It looked identical to a small shred of kelp, really flawless camouflage.

A bug with a dozen legs INSIDE YOUR MASK.

*shrieks and faints*

The rest of the day when I felt water trickle into my ears, or any sudden shudder sensation I was half convinced the bug had crawled into my hood and was burrowing into my ears to eat my brains or something.

...At least it didn't enter my regulator :wink:

Copepod.

Get used to them, you'll find them hitching hiking on your gear now and then. You are, however, the first person I've heard of getting one in the their mask. Don't worry, they don't bite.

Now, if Recardo Montalban is holding it, become very worried. ;-)

Ah, is that what it was? In my mind copepods are really tiny, but this guy was slightly over an inch. Any idea what specific species it might be? Thanks!

Sounds like the isopod Pentidotea (formerly Idotea) resecata or a related species

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom