Keeping my feet warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetSEAL

Contributor
Reaction score
Currently diving in temps a little under 50 degrees, but I want to be able to dive comfortably in even colder water. I'm wearing a 7mm semidry, with 7mm gloves, and feel warm enough. On my feet, I'm wearing Deep Sea 5mm Echozip and they get uncomfortably cold.

What is the best option for keeping my feet warm? Perhaps a good semidry boot? Is there a particular boot that would work a lot better, or should I just wear wool / lycra / neoprene socks underneath?

Last edited:
https://www.makospearguns.com/Yamamoto-Freedive-Socks-3mm-5mm-High-Cut-p/myfs.htm

MYFS-2T.jpg

I have 1/4" (7mm) booties. But the way your body works, is that it shuts down blood flow to your peripherals in order to keep your core warm. So putting on a thicker hood, or adding a vest, or going to a full farmer john, will all conserve body heat--and that will also keep your feet warmer. If your body is losing heat, and you just put on thicker booties? Your body will still shut down blood flow to your feet, they may still feel cold.

And the reason Jacque Cousteau always wore a red wool knit cap? Surprise, it keeps your head slightly warmer in the water, and very much warmer when you surface, which helps the body push heat back into your extremities. (Wool, not polyester.)

I understand that if my head is cold, my body is going to divert heat from the extremities to keep my critical parts warm...but my head and rest of my body all feel warm and toasty in my 7mm one-piece semidry suit, so I think my feet are just cold because the thermal protection on my feet is so much thinner than anywhere else on my body.

Turns out I had a pair of 100% waterproof Sealskin(tm) socks laying around, which contain an inner layer of merino wool, which I will try using next weekend and hopefully see if that makes a difference. I will post back to let you know

Is your footwear loose enough to allow easy water transfer? I used to do a lot of whitewater rafting and the trick was to put a bunch of plastic bags over your feet before putting on the ill-fitting rental booties.

I think that Dano gave you a great suggestion, those 'high-cuts' look like the thing. I'll bet they are high cut for a reason. I might just be needing a pair myself...

Full disclosure: Never met Dano, have no connection with him or his offerings whatsoever. I do own some of his products and remain impressed with them.

I got some ScubaPro HD 6.5mm boots with their DiamondSpan lining last Fall. They are really warm. If just adding your socks doesn't help, I would go with warmer boots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom