Keeping active with diving when you can't dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After turning 50 last year I found out dieting alone was not keeping the pounds off. Also, wanting to shed a little lead off my BCD. I decided to take a continuing education class (gym membership) at my local college... I enjoy the benefit of using the gym after work. I'm starting off slow, doing cardio everyday for 30 minutes, no biggie. I have a goal of losing 20 pounds by April. I keep connected in local scuba related events (classes, pool time, etc...) through social media which may help Winter non-diving blues. Plus, read when I can... anything.

I chose the philosophy that there is never reason not to dive.
I decided to embrace local cold water diving. I eventually got my drysuit when I decided to get my ice diving cert to fully become a four season diver.

The challenge can be finding like minded dive buddies in the dead of Canadian winter... A group of us did get out for a brisk New Years Day dive in 38F water-- something that seems to be becoming a bit of a tradition.

Last couple winters I've taken some gear classes at the shop. This winter I'm taking the O2 cleaning course as my son took the nitrox course and wants to use it more. I never justified having dedicated tanks (per what dive shops want - whole other threads on that discussion) for myself, but will for him (and the other son who will take his nitrox course this next summer). I have a few tanks I can dedicate and since I have a tumbler and have my VCI cert and valve repair cert, figure why not have super clean tanks too. It's also a good time to review the gear, do reg services (again myself so scheduling is easier), work on the scuba closet...room...warehouse organization. Happy wintering..

You can always go over to the dark side and start servicing your own gear.:) If you run into ANY problems you have the best rescores in the world right here! :cheers: There is a lot to learn about this subject and you can always test out the results of your efforts at your local pool.

learn oring sizes,get a first and second regulator schematic and assemble a save a dive kit or research service kits(first, second,inflator) and keep in bag for travels even if you aren't comfortable doing the work at least a local diveshop would be able to help if on a trip and issues arise with your gear, you can read the navy dive manual for free and youtube and wiki.(the diving portal is very extensive) its sure to add to your knowledge level. and second the nomination for learning about sealife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom