Keep hair out of mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fletch1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
What does every use to keep hair out of mask? Beanie? Thin hood? I’ll only be diving in warmer water so don’t need anything for warmth (although I am cold blooded so up to 3mm won’t be uncomfortable). During confined skills having to remove/replace mask I was always getting thin hairs caught around the top/sides creating small leaks.

My daughter has long strait hair and simply putting it into a low ponytail was sufficient, Braiding also worked well. Both of those options are dependent on having longer hair with no shorter bangs.

I have seen many use bandana style head wraps to help manage hair.

I look like a hot mess with short hair! I pull mine back into a low ponytail but my hair is super fine and I have wisps around my face constantly escaping. I’m wondering if those hoods stay on if I have to remove my mask or if it’s a pain to have to first fix the hood then the mask.

A friend of mine uses one of the Mako rashguard hoods and loves it. I'll ask if she braids her hair under the hood or just uses the hood.

I too have thin fine hair. I would put my hair in a ponytail (until I recently cut it short) but that did little to help. The fine hairs around the face would immediately escape and the band would often be off by the end of the dive. I added a beanie then switched to a lightweight hooded vest. Love it. Also may trim my bangs shorter before a trip. Not perfect, I still need to run a finger along the sides and across my forehead before I splash but no big deal.

You will want to get very comfortable with mask removal so the extra seconds to run a finger along your face to check for strays will not be a problem. Also, a small leak until you can find the source should be no problem after a few practice dives.

You can try a Buff (the regular size, half size, headband, or ruched headband), a Klash silicone headband, a neoprene headband....

I use a metal hair clip and clip it back at the top while tying my hair back. I use one of the above items depending on when in the cycle of my haircutting I am diving.

A friend of mine uses one of the Mako rashguard hoods and loves it. I'll ask if she braids her hair under the hood or just uses the hood.

Thanks for the recommendation. A lycra hood is quite thin and should be very comfortable and will control the hair issue. However, any hood which covers the ears, when wet, will diminish the ability hear well. They lycra hood provide zero thermal protection.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Camo-Lycra-Hood-p/mclh.htm

An alternative, if the diver would benefit from a little bit of added warmth is the very thin and stretchy 2 mm neoprene hood. Since it provides very little constriction, this hood should also be extremely comfortable and is great when you want to add some thermal protection in warm water, but you don't want to change your suit or your lead.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Wetsuit-Hood-2mm-Reversible-Blue-Camo-Green-Camo-p/mhbg.htm

thanks
dano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom