keep calm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laivindil

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think this is a near miss; more like a lesson learned.

My primary buddy and I did a dive 4 days ago at a popular local site (cove 2 for the rainy staters) and decided to make it a skills dive. Every skill went off without a hitch except my remove-replace weight belt. It got a mite interesting. I was diving a new BP/W and didn't have any weights in the pockets on the harness, all 30lbs on the belt . What happens when you take 30 lbs off and hold it out to the side at 40ft?

You go vertical that's what. :shocked: Upside down. First time for me. It looked like I was attempting a 1-hand-stand underwater. I first kinda leaned to the side the belt was on, then my feet started going up. Thanks to my donut-style bladder I was upside down in 3 seconds flat. :shocked: I remember thinking to myself: "hmm, well this is interesting...don't seem to be going up so that's a plus...there's no way I'll get that air outta my BC unless I improve my positioning". After I discovered my rental reg wasn't going to flood it took me and my buddy 3 minutes to get the belt back on my fat ***. Let me tell you I never held onto something so tight as that belt while I was upside down.

I can't recall if the clam I kept during the whole thing was forced or natural but to all you newbies out there (and any experienced divers who'll listen to a newb like me :wink:) keeping your calm is the best thing you can do when something goes wrong. Also; anything can go wrong; even in practice. Be prepared; Stop, Breath, Think, Act.

Best part of this story; I ran into my OW/Nitrox instructor who was teaching an advanced class that evening after my Ringling-Bro's-worthy preformance. He informs me he'll be using my story in his classes in the future. :sorry19z:

ha, ha, ha. oops; just kidding. i'm sure it didn't seem funny at the time, but you have to admit it's a funny visual. :) that's great you were out practicing skills - something i hope to be doing soon. and great that you were able to work it all out without dropping all of that weight!

Everything's a learning experience. The important thing is you didn't panic and you guys worked it out underwater.

bladder pull dump would a done er?

FFMDiver:
bladder pull dump would a done er?

Most likely. I do have one on my wing at the bottom. Would have been nice to notice that before that particular dive :11doh:

Why does one practice removing and replacing one's weight belt? Just curious, since it's not a skill I've ever thought to practice and sounds pretty dangerous.

I'd guess that it's just in case you ever become entangled by something hopelessly snagged on your weight belt, but that seems like quite a stretch.

I can see a use for practicing the skill. My weight belt gets a lot bigger when I am in the water and needs to be readjusted after its wet. When trying to tighten my weight belt it has on occasion slipped out of one of my hands, requiring me to don it again while in the water. If I practiced the skill more I may be able to actually don it on the surface, rather than sink to the bottom, lay on my stomach and re-secure it that way.

Anytime you maintain your composure your odds greatly improve in getting out of any situation. Doesn't even have to be underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom