Kayak diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pacediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Has anyone tried a 10 ft pelican sit on top kayak for scuba or is it just to small etc,

What is the carrying capacity? Add your weight and your equipment weight. Now which type of water are you going to use this in? With dive gear properly distributed you are likely going to be paddling a semi submersible vessel. I think it will be too small.

10ft SOT kayaks are like paddling a marshmallow without dive gear.... Unless you only weigh 90 lbs, it will be a frustrating slow zigzag ride.

Sit-on-tops often have higher weight capacities and dont need baled out. This allows a smaller craft to be suitable for lightweight dive gear.

I have an older ocean kayak scrambler that I use to dive,has a spot in the back cutout for a tank.
I paddle across a lake and shore dive (away from the boat launch)
Havnt tried to dive mid water with it

You will need a boat in the OK Caper/Scrambler (11+ feet) class or something like the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120. I use a OK Scupper Pro TW, approximately 15 feet of length. The Pelican boats are a two piece hull, for ocean duty you might prefer a full rotomolded boat that is essentially one piece, the boats I named as examples. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom