Kauai Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reinnes13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

We are visiting Kauai in late March and wanted to get some thoughts on scuba activities. I am a new diver and getting my AOW certification before we go. My wife did a discover scuba experience with me last year and had a bad experience with a rushed training and not feeling confident enough about clearing her mask. She wants to try diving again so figured this could be a good opportunity before going for a full open water course.

So two questions.

First, how are the different options for non-certified divers at Kauai? I have seen several options for non-certified divers (Koloa landing, boat diving) and just wanted to understand more about the options. In particular, I was wondering if I'd be able to dive with/near her as I know some diving sites break up certified/non-certified groups.

Second, any suggestions for diving on my own while there? Finishing my AOW beforehand I'd like to take the opportunity to try out some deeper diving. I'm not sure if they have Niihau/Nipali trips this time of year but I don't know if I'm experienced enough for those yet anyways. Any recommended trips/operators? Do most AOW dives require/recommend Nitrox and should I also get certified in that before I go?

Thanks!
A

Aloha!
Sorry to hear about your wife's first encounter not being great. I bet it definitely set you back trying to get a new dive buddy! Where did she do her discover scuba (just location, no need for shop name)? Kauai luckily has a lot of great dive personnel working at each shop here. So please let her know not to give up! A great instructor/company will have patience and willing to set her up for success. I highly suggest doing her next discover scuba via a shore dive. It'll allow her to comfortably walk in and start in shallow water vs giant stride or back roll from a boat into deeper water with possible current or wind chop. I believe all shops here will accommodate you following along with her on her dive. It would be crazy if not!

As for diving on your own while you're here, same thing, all shops with boats would be able to accommodate you. Only 2 companies will cross to Niihau this time of the year (weather permitting of course), Bubbles Below and Explore Kauai Scuba. They are also the only 2 companies that will dive the Na Pali Coast aka Mana Crack anytime of the year. I would recommend nitrox if you're doing more than 2 dives on a trip. Nitrox can be pricey out here but worth it if you're doing a hefty 3 dive trip. I will however highly recommend getting your nitrox certification. To me, it goes hand and hand with an AOW rating. Having the option to dive on trox is always a bonus.

Let me know if you have any further questions or things I can help recommend, even if it's not scuba related. I'd be more than happy to help out and point you in the right direction. Kauai awaits you!!!

-Nick

Thanks for getting back to me Nick!

She did her discover scuba in the Azores. They were training a new DM and had them lead the training. Her mask fogged early during the actual dive and as she didn't feel comfortable enough to clear it she didn't get to see much. We both love island trips and I think she'd enjoy scuba with OW training so just looking for the right discover scuba experience to make sure she enjoys it before she commits.

Thanks for the Nitrox recommendation, I've signed up with my LDS to get it before we head out. Niihau and Na Pali are tempting but after looking at them I think they are a bit more than I want to handle fresh off my AOW. Besides, it gives us a good reason to come back!

We are looking forward to the trip. We're staying several extra days to backpack the Na Pali coast and are planning on the open cockpit biplane tour. Otherwise, we haven't made any solid plans. We'll be staying on the North Coast but with our rental car look to explore all of the island. My wife is a big foodie and I'm a nature person so I think we have plenty of options.

Best,
Alex

@KauaiScuba

My wife has green lighted an epic 50th birthday dive trip.

Question on Niihau. If I want to see monk seals, what is the best time for this inside the window of Sept-Oct-Nov?

Also care to comment on how much diving one should do on a first time trip to Kauai vs other activities? Is the snorkeling good? We were on Maui last summer and the snorkeling was fabulous and nearly as good as the diving.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks for getting back to me Nick!

She did her discover scuba in the Azores. They were training a new DM and had them lead the training. Her mask fogged early during the actual dive and as she didn't feel comfortable enough to clear it she didn't get to see much. We both love island trips and I think she'd enjoy scuba with OW training so just looking for the right discover scuba experience to make sure she enjoys it before she commits.

Thanks for the Nitrox recommendation, I've signed up with my LDS to get it before we head out. Niihau and Na Pali are tempting but after looking at them I think they are a bit more than I want to handle fresh off my AOW. Besides, it gives us a good reason to come back!

We are looking forward to the trip. We're staying several extra days to backpack the Na Pali coast and are planning on the open cockpit biplane tour. Otherwise, we haven't made any solid plans. We'll be staying on the North Coast but with our rental car look to explore all of the island. My wife is a big foodie and I'm a nature person so I think we have plenty of options.

Best,
Alex

Glad to help Alex! Late March still doesn't have any north shore diving due to the winter surf conditions. Driving south will be your only option. That's also where "Koloa Landing" shore dive site is that I highly suggest. You can dive next to her the entire time as well. That site is never short of great critter encounters!

As for not doing Niihau or Na Pali, no biggy, Kauai has amazing local diving too with way shorter boat travel time.

You'll have a blast hiking the Na Pali Coast, bring a camera, you'll probably want 1000 pictures! Also if you're into birds( I know this is a scuba site haha) Pihea Trail where Waimea Canyon rd ends has some beautiful views from the top rim of Kalalau Valley with the rare honeycreeper birds.

Let me know if I can help answer anything else. I usually get on here once every 2-3 days.

-Nick

@KauaiScuba

My wife has green lighted an epic 50th birthday dive trip.

Question on Niihau. If I want to see monk seals, what is the best time for this inside the window of Sept-Oct-Nov?

Also care to comment on how much diving one should do on a first time trip to Kauai vs other activities? Is the snorkeling good? We were on Maui last summer and the snorkeling was fabulous and nearly as good as the diving.

Thanks,
Mike

Aloha Mike!
Happy Early Birthday! Woooooo Dive Vacation!

Monk seals can be seen throughout the whole year at Niihau, but not always in the winter. So earlier in the Sept-Nov time line would be best. Crossing is always due to weather of course. Only Explore Kauai Scuba and Bubbles offer year round crossing, but Fathom and Seasport offer it into part of Sept usually. Also, Poipu Beach is a good place to find monk seals sunbathing out of the water.

As for how much diving you should do, EVERYDAY! Ha, just kidding, kind of! While my favorite place to be on Kauai is in the Kauai ocean, it's a beautiful island with plenty of stuff to do. Hiking is my favorite other thing to do, usually up in the Waimea Canyon/Kokee area. Snorkeling can be decent here, but harder to access a lot of different places. Poipu Beach, Lawai Beach, Koloa Landing, Salt Pond are prob the top 4 on the south side. Definitely do some snorkeling but I think you'll get the best critter encounters w/ a tank on your back. Scuba diving multiple days can tire you out pretty decently, so if doing multiple days, Id suggest every other day or similar. Depends on you though, my dive trips consist of daily dives but I'm seasoned to it.

Let me know if I can help with any other questions. Feel free to direct message me if you have specific non diving Kauai related questions.

-Nick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom