Kauai Thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruzbound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are scheduled to go to Kauai for week at the beginning of September 2021 and was wondering on what everyone thoughts are regarding this as far as do you think Kauai will change their quarantine policy by then? I am hoping that if you are vaccinated then they would allow you to come and be a normal tourist and not locked up - with proof of vaccination. Or do you think we should change our plans and just spend the two week on Maui (we are currently scheduled for a week in Kauai and then a week in Maui)? We don't have a problem giving all our money for diving/lodging/etc. to Maui but we really wanted to try diving in Kauai. I am just trying to decide as we will need to change our plans soon to try and get our flights changed.

I appreciate any thoughts/insight anyone may have - hopefully some businesses or locals from Kauai will respond with their thoughts on the island reopening. Just a FYI - I will not pay for pre-testing, post-testing and be told where I have to stay (I already have a Hilton property booked and it is a cost savings because we are using Hilton points).

Thanks for the help.

So much can change between now and then but be flexible in any regard. We live on Big Island and regulations here are a bit more reasonable than Kauai. Have a back up plan or two in place. I always use autoslash.com to find the best rental car prices. It might be a good idea to have a couple different rental car plans booked as well (cancelling the one that doesn't work out).

The constant changes have slowed a bit here but as Kauai's financial blight gets even worse there is no telling what their Mayor will do.

Maui will be a great trip...Kona has great diving and the Mantas. We have enjoyed diving Kauai...the structure always seemed to be kind of prehistoric, like Fred Flintstone's reef.

Yes, I am hoping that Kauai realizes they need tourist money to stay alive soon and make some changes. We have been diving in Kona (the Big Island) and did the Manta dive - it was really awesome. We have also been diving in Maui which we loved so that is why we want to go back there again. We are going with another couple who love to hike so we thought Kauai would be nice for them and since we have never dived there that is why we thought a week in Kauai and a week in Maui. I just hope changes come sooner than later so we can change our flights, if need be. Thanks.

Planning future travel keeps me hopeful that the next trip will not cancel. Then when that one cancels, I hope the next trip doesn't cancel. All my bookings are fully refundable or cancellable with no penalty and I no longer have an emotional attachment to trips. I had a 4-week land based trek through Europe scheduled this summer for a bucket list vacation, hitting about a dozen countries. Sadly, it fell apart and the companies cancelled their tours with full deposit refunds. Upon reflection, it's a good thing, because I'd prefer to travel that far when the world is a little more stable for vacationers.

American Airlines had a one-day sale yesterday for $199 RT from the West Coast. As tempting as it was to get a ticket, there's too much that can still go wrong while trying to get to Hawaii and I'm not going to do a 3-day negative COVID test, which is a bit unreasonable, IMO.

I am kind of hoping that enough vaccine will have be rolled over the next several months that we have a better sense of things by early June. But IMHO, 2021 is not looking great for safe travel.

As so succinctly put by @living4experiences , "...I no longer have an emotional attachment to trips."

Kauai dive business chiming in here...

"Uhhhh....Hmmmm...." Is how I first answered this in my head, sadly, lol. On a real note though, while we don't know the mayors plans just yet, we want to make it easier for visitors to come here for the sake of our fragile economy. Whats being discussed right now is should we let people who have recieved both doses of the vaccine to skip quarantine entirely since they are immune. I will post any travel updates I receive on here. We definitely need the tourism when we start to open back up! Most Kauai residents need tourism to survive and we appreciate our visitors more now than ever. -Nick

I'm sure you have seen the updates on Kauai and things are looking up for you and your diving plans. I hope you are able to visit Kauai and spend some time underwater here. The diving is very unique on Kauai in a number of ways and I think you would love it. Have spent over 20 years living / diving in Hawaii - I have done extensive diving on both Maui and Kauai. While we are in the early stages of recovering from heavy rains and flooding, we will no doubt be back in full swing long before Sept. Take a look at Niihau diving as well as a consideration should you come to Kauai. It offers the rare chance to spend underwater time with endangered Hawaiian monk seal. The diving over at the island of Niihau is among the very best in the islands in my humble opinion. Here locally on Kauai there is a fantastic CRITTERTASTIC (lobbying to make this an official word) shore dive at Koloa Landing that I feel is a must do for all experience levels. From the boat there are countless options as well. On Maui I have long felt that Mike Severn diving is the best of the best. Pauline and her staff are simply amazing. They basically live underwater and know the ocean and its' critters as well as you could possible imagine. Makena Landing and Mala Wharf are just a couple of the AMAZING shore dives that are there as well. As you come closer to your visit please feel free to send me a message with any and all of your questions about either island. I'd love to help out however I can to make sure you get out with a great company and have the best possible experience on island. I'd can happily help you with "on land" activities and etc. as well. If you are doing shore diving and I can loan you weight, mats, a cooler or bins I am more than happy to do so as well. Happy dive / vacation planning! ALOHA
A

Hi AquamanKauai

I sent you a private message when you get a chance to read it. At least I hope I did kind of new to trying that part.

Thanks
cruzbound

Kauai is great diving. I’m heading there in may 2021. Follow state of Hawaii travel regs. Kauai updates are tomorrow 4/5/2021
I used seasports.

Hi AquamanKauai,

Can you please take a look at the private message I sent you?

Thanks,
cruzbound

Back
Top Bottom