Katana 2 tanks uneven

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TuckerM80

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just as the title says, using a Katana 2 dual bladder, no matter what tanks I use, bolt snaps, snap bolt location on tanks, opposing and non opposing valves, tighten bungees, the left tank will sag down. I’ve tightened every part of the harness so that it’s tight, lower tank mounts are even on the waist belt, and the crotch strap is tight and I’m pretty much stumped at this point. My dive buddies who dive katana 2 single bladder can’t figure it out either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you scuba board fam !!!

Just as the title says, using a Katana 2 dual bladder, no matter what tanks I use, bolt snaps, snap bolt location on tanks, opposing and non opposing valves, tighten bungees, the left tank will sag down. I’ve tightened every part of the harness so that it’s tight, lower tank mounts are even on the waist belt, and the crotch strap is tight and I’m pretty much stumped at this point. My dive buddies who dive katana 2 single bladder can’t figure it out either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you scuba board fam !!!
Can you post an image of your bottles, the rigging on the bottles, how you’re routing the bungee, and ideally an underwater picture? Are you clipping to sliding rings or the clinically massive stock square drop Ds? Which bottles?

Can you post an image of your bottles, the rigging on the bottles, how you’re routing the bungee, and ideally an underwater picture? Are you clipping to sliding rings or the clinically massive stock square drop Ds? Which bottles?

Attachments

• IMG_4383.jpeg
    IMG_4383.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4384.jpeg
    IMG_4384.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4385.jpeg
    IMG_4385.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4386.jpeg
    IMG_4386.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4387.jpeg
    IMG_4387.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 31

Attachments

• IMG_4382.png
    IMG_4382.png
    258.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4388.png
    IMG_4388.png
    274.8 KB · Views: 31
I am clipping to the factory square drop D’s. Using steel HP120’s. The right bottle is always perfect, but the left hangs as you can see in the in water pictures. Changing bungee routing, tightening or adding slack changes nothing for the lower mount. I tried my buddies LP 108’s and the left tank sagged as well. The actual “harness” seems to move independently from the bladder quite a bit

I am clipping to the factory square drop D’s. Using steel HP120’s. The right bottle is always perfect, but the left hangs as you can see in the in water pictures. Changing bungee routing, tightening or adding slack changes nothing for the lower mount. I tried my buddies LP 108’s and the left tank sagged as well. The actual “harness” seems to move independently from the bladder quite a bit
The “all in” fix everything at once answers:

-Ditch the dive rite stage rigging. Is inappropriate for sidemount. Jubilee band, short paracord, boltsnap on the bottom. Top you can leave a paracord leash if you need to jump off of a boat and then unclip this leash once underwater. (15-25%)
-Switch to opposing valves with the isolation post. Assuming your bungees are the same length, this is the probable cause of most of your issues. It is not possible to route equal length bungees the same way with the valves you have. (70-80%)
-I think your drop Ds are not equidistant from the back plate, but this is likely sub a cm (5%).

If it is not any of the above, there is a chance that it is a combination of your regulators and the routing of said regulators that are causing the issues. Fifth port regulators whilst using the traditional Bogarthian rigging may help. Lastly, you could use a fish or luggage scale to ensure each of the bottles are of similar buoyancy. Those valves each have different weights, and some pairs of HP120s themselves that are easily a pound different in buoyancy.

I would consider running a bungee tightly between the drain grommets at the bottom of the wing and threading this through the crotch strap. This will greatly limit the wing shaking around relative to the harness. Image below of someone else’s wing.

Attachments

• IMG_2969.jpeg
    IMG_2969.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 27
I don’t dive a Katana but have on occasion had a droopy bottle. Typically using rented tanks so suspect mismatched buoyancy. If you’re sure that’s not the issue have you tried a different harness? Can’t say that’s the cause (not sure why it would be) but just seems the only variable you haven’t solved for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom