Kansas City Blues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveLiberty

Registered
Reaction score
I hate to add to the overall bluesy tone of this little corner of SB, but I'd be willing to argue that the Kansas City area may be one of the worst major metropolitan areas for a scuba diver to live.

Most literally, the closest diveable site is nearly 4 hours at TableRock lake, and even diving there is no simple process. I so desperately long for the development of the most humble dive site similar to some of the Quarry's found throughout the midwest. To live within 2 hours of one of these sites would be a dream come true.

Kansas City area folks, what do you to satisfy the urge to dive, other than finding another hobby? (I already have too many)

I think parts of Colorado may be worse. Moved to AZ many years ago and locally there is pretty much only one spot in the state.

I only know of one place close to KC, private land (old nighbor owned it), formor strip mine that might be 30' deep. Actually two of them. One very green, the other is clear. The green one has a cold spring feeding it. Not open to the public. He has it as his secluded retirement place to go play farmer.

Don't get me wrong, there are rougher places in the US. It's just hard to believe that a city as big as KC can't support a little quarry or something in the area.

Don't mind me, I'm just pouting a little bit in frustration. I haven't even been able to find a pool around here that will let me check out new equipment.

I believe Sam's Skin N Scuba in Independence has a pool, a robust travel program, with comprehensive equipment and training resources. They can probably point you to any local or nearby dive spots.

I believe Sam's Skin N Scuba in Independence has a pool, a robust travel program, with comprehensive equipment and training resources. They can probably point you to any local or nearby dive spots.

I got my OW and AOW with Sam's and they do have a pool. They almost always take students to beaver lake in Arkansas (4ish hours from KC area).

The "nearby" dive spots are:
  • Stockton lake (very poor vis, not worth it in my opinion)
  • Table Rock Lake
  • Beaver Lake (has a scuba park, stay at C&J sports for cheap lodging)
  • Bennett state park (90ish ft spring/cavern dive, only open for diving part of the year, great viz, lots of trout)

Yes, Sam's is a great shop. I usually do my service with them and I'm thankful to have them in the area.

@broncobowsher I don't suppose that you'd share the contact of that private land owner?

@njdiverjoe thanks for the info. I'm pretty familiar with Tablerock and did get a chance to dive it once this summer. I've been to Beaver a few times, but not since I've been diving, so hope to get back there perhaps next summer.

Of course, Bonne Terre is on the list for this winter.

My job severely limits my weekend destination opportunities, so I'd love to find something within a daw trips length.

Go eat some barbecue. You'll feel better. There are few things that a nice half rack of ribs doesn't fix.

Stockton Lake is my nearest spot. The vis is certainly unpredictable, but I have been fortunate to have been there on days with 20'. It is "usually" a little better as you go deeper, but Stockton is a pretty shallow lake (around 100' +/-).

Lobo

Back
Top Bottom