'K, I give up.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis

Contributor
Reaction score
My Dacor is going up on eBAY (and maybe here on Aquatrader)

Its just about 1" too short in the torso (I'm 5'11) but is otherwise PERFECT. That 1" is a killer and trashes my ability to kick comfortably. Otherwise though I love the damn thing, which is why I figured I'd take the chance and get it wet - if it didn't work out with it being as reasonable as it was (and of as high quality as it was) I figured I wouldn't lose much on the resale.

So I'm back where I started - again.

Considering DUI. HOWEVER, I'm NOT buying another dry suit without being able to put the damn thing on and dive the rack size(s) in consideration FIRST. No way, no how. Done it twice, neither was a correct fit, even though in BOTH cases I was WITHIN the sizing guidelines.

No more "wink and a prayer" stuff for me, and particularly not if I'm going to spend a LOT of money (as opposed to a little money.)

Now here's the problem.

Nobody stocks the damn things, and I've yet to find people who rent the same suits they want to sell.

So explain to me why I shouldn't take a drive up to Macon, where I can go to Diver's Supply. and buy their Sea Elite Trilam (assuming one of their stock suits fits!) which I can try on right there and if I like it, buy it right there. No ifs, ands, buts, or waits, and about half the price of a TLS-350.

I've had it with the supposed "service" that all the dive shops and manufacturers claim are the reason we should not buy online, but when you actually try to RECEIVE some of that service you basically get told that "oh just trust us."

Well I've trusted them, twice, and neither time were they right. Why should I believe that this won't be the case again? Why not just buy from one of the Internet dealers, provided that I can return it, and eat ONLY the shipping expense if I'm wrong?

Show me a dealer for DUI within 100 miles of the Destin area that (1) has the damn suits IN STOCK, (2) RENTS the damn suits, and (3) that I can walk in, try on for size, rent the same one (same year, model, etc) that I want to buy to go dive it, and come back later that day to purchase if I like the fit and the way it dives.

I can do this with a $1500 Armani business suit.

Explain why I can't do it with a $1500 diving drysuit!

Shoot, I owned a dive shop and could never afford to have suits around to try before I baught. LOL

I can buy a DUI "online" from an authorized dealer at about 25% off list. Not great, but not horrible.

I can also go up to Macon, where they have a real store with real stock, and buy a Sea Elite right there off the floor. Try it, fit it, if you like it buy it. No nonsense. From what I can tell the suit looks to be pretty much the same as any other Trilam - that is, if it fits (which it might not!)

If I'm wrong, I'm out an overnight trip up there and the fuel for the Jetta - not a big deal. Sure as hell cheaper than the other alternatives, and if it doesn't fit, its not THAT far to swing back down to EE and try dealing with them on the DUI.

If 'ya wonder why I'm on such a crusade about the "dive shop" nonsense, this is why.

I don't mind spending $1000+ on a business suit - but I expect to be treated well, for the suit to be in stock, for it to be fitted by a pro and for any necessary alterations to be made by a quality tailor who knows what he's doing and can get it done in a couple of days.

For this I pay a hell of a mark-up on that business suit; if I prefer to be cheap I can go to any off-brand place and get the same material - the same wool, the same lining, the same everything but the name - for half the price or less - but I won't get the attention to detail and I might also not get the same fit and finish.

Well, its no different here... except that when I want to buy something that truly DOES require that kind of attention to detail to get the fit right, it can't be had ANYWHERE at ANY price.

But boy, those shops sure are proud of that "full price" model.

What they forgot was the "Full SERVICE" to go with the "full price".

If you wonder why people come in and check stuff out, then head over to LP to buy, here's your answer. The local shops have utterly failed to make the value equation work.

Its SERVICE folks - and when it comes to something that HAS TO FIT RIGHT, this is one place you CAN make a difference - and the sale.

Another opportunity lost for the LDS.

DUI Demo Day? I may be asking a stupid question, but why didn't or don't you go to one? They had one at Manatee and Vortex earlier this month.

Couldn't make it.

One day out of the year that there's one within 100 miles of me.

How hard is it if they have all these dealers that are "supporting" the demo to actually have some of them with some inventory?

Or is the entire claim of that "support" just marketing-speak? If there really IS support at the dealer level, and justification for the 100%+ mark-up on those suits (I DO know what the dealer cost is) how come its not showing up "in the real world"?

By next March, when the next DOG day is held in Alabama (the next closest one, but some 3+ hours away) my interest in spending $1500+ for a new suit will be over for the year.

Seems to me that if you were making such a top-line product you'd insure that your dealers actually had some stock on hand, that customers could check out the product in person, and you would be in a position to deliver stock suits within a day or three. I understand special order requirements for custom cut stuff, of course, but not for stock sizes. If you can't get it as fast as FedEx or UPS can transport it, and provide the ability to try for fit, feel and comfort, where's the value in you as a dealer?

Are dealers owed their margin simply for being a conduit? No.

Margins are earned with customer service and support.

Or are they?

Hollywoodivers carries the full line. And yes, you can rent them.

BTW, I'm 5'11 and about 205#. The CLX450 large that I tried for a WE was a tad too small, shoulder and waist wise.

My current current FLX50/50 is custom-sized.

Hey Karl... What size DUI do you think you are, according to the size charts. I might be able to help you out. Even though I am 1000 miles away. But, whats one more zero???

I think I'm a stock "L".

My waist is one inch too small, as is my chest. Everything else is in the ranges they give.

This was all measured by my g/f using a cloth tape and their instructions.

Now the question is, how accurate are their "guidelines"? If the suit is baggy I won't want it. If its too tight, I won't be able to wear it.

That's the problem... and the quandry.

I can PM you the entire list if you think you might be able to help...

Genesis once bubbled...
I think I'm a stock "L".
Now the question is, how accurate are their "guidelines"? If the suit is baggy I won't want it. If its too tight, I won't be able to wear it.

That's the problem... and the quandry.

Well, thats really a personal decision. Different people define "baggy" differently. Its all up to you. So, you really need to try a suit on, dive it, and then determine whether or not YOU like the fit... Because, it doesnt matter if I say its too baggy, or looks too tight, it matters how it FEELS to you...

BTW, I dont have a LG Trilam for you to try... Sorry... If i did, I would ship it to you tomorrow...

I have heard that the CLX450 is quite bulky and inhibits movement, plus the bottoms being compressed neoprene tends to take a long time to dry. While the "tough as nails" quality might appeal to me, the heavy + stays wet part might not. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom