Justifying solo diving to others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ADeadlierSnake

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does it ever get old/annoying? I have mentioned it to people before, and mentioned that its something i might be interested in down the road, and so far EVERYONE ive mentioned it to has just flipped out. So im not even a solo diver (yet) and its already getting old. I havent had one person say to me "well you know, it does have its benefits", or "i can see why youd wanna do that". No. Its just a bunch of people freaking out. So what do you guys do when someone freaks out over the fact that you solo dive? Or is it just more accepted wherever you guys are? I dont live in a big dive community, so that might play a part... Idk.

So what do you guys do when someone freaks out over the fact that you solo dive?
Both divers and non-divers have made mild comments like "aren't you supposed to dive together with someone?", but I haven't seen any sort of unreasonable responses or "freaking out".

Perhaps that's because I don't make a big deal out of solo diving. It only comes up if someone asks who I was diving with. I treat it as a simple matter of fact, not a some sort of big deal.

On the rare occasion when someone asks if it increases risk, I simply note as a 62 year old, my biggest risk is medical problems such as heart attacks, and that if that happens I'll probably be dead with or without a buddy.

See, while i wish "freaking out" were an exaggeration, sadly it wasnt. I was at a dinner table with people (all non-divers, but most of which who know people who dive), and i mentioned to them i was interested in solo diving, and they literally did scream out "OHHHHH NONONONONONO DONT YOU DARE DO THAT!!!" and it wasnt even people i knew....

Where I live it's almost more common to solo dive than to buddy dive so it's pretty much expected. No one ever questions me when they see me at a dive site alone. Oh, and I pretty much only dive caves.

If they're freaking out, then maybe you just shouldn't talk about it. What are your reasons for wanting to solo dive, anyway?

I like to use vintage dive gear and that often distracts people long enough that they fail to notice I'm also diving solo.
Works like a charm!

P3278521.jpg

Why would you need to argue the point anyways. If you decide it is for you, then just do it. I, like Rob, do most of my diving solo, including caves. Until you are a competant solo diver, you really are not a great buddy. Having said that there is a lot to do to be ready to be a solo diver and that is for another thread. But this is specific to your question. FWIW

I think it is pretty common for those close to us or concerned about us. I have buddies that are familiar with my skills may not say anything. While others will say never dive alone or go out of their way to hook up with me. Many times during the week I am a loney guy and just hit the water by myself. I have no one to discuss its benefits with. Why solo in your area or try to justify it, if you do not want to go solo anyway.

Buddy diving is how the sport is portrayed. It gets reinforced when buddy separation/solo diving is incessantly used as a plot device leading to a negative situation. Buddy diving is also as we all know the thrust of virtually all diver training.

Solo divers have been a round since the first divers and it's nothing new. If you are going to be a solo diver you should be in a place where you you are comfortable enough with your knowledge, skills and discipline to ignore and not be swayed by the cautions of the less informed. There's no need to change them nor to obey them. Listen to yourself though.

If your knowledgeable peers question the wisdom of your solo efforts that is good cause to revisit your self validation.

A healthy cycle is to begin diving wanting to go solo but being freshly trained you do not. You then enter a phase where you realize all that can happen and resolve to not dive alone. Over time, if your are inclined to be a solo diver you will replace those concerns with skill, knowledge and discipline and come to enjoy diving alone.

Pete

I don't get any reaction either, then again I don't bring it up often. Not because I hide it, I just don't go telling people about my actions below water or topside. If I ever get that reaction I'll probably respond like Hocheynut or similar.

If you actually care to produce a response, there is a thread going on that can give you a good argument, not just for diving solo but in general to be more reliable on yourself for everything. Yes we live among people but why in the world would you expect anything from strangers? Haven't seen enough proof out there of people generally being rotten?
Title of the thread amuses me, "Why do you lie?" ha! it is such a naive question.... because that is what people do. Different motivations, who cares why? fact is people lie, so why would anyone trust an unknown?

Back
Top Bottom