Just when you thought it was safe ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Sharks off the coast of Brazil have tested positive for cocaine, scientists say.

Marine biologists tested 13 Brazilian sharpnose sharks taken from the shores near Rio de Janeiro and found they tested for high levels of cocaine in their muscles and livers.

The concentrations were as much as 100 times higher than previously reported for other aquatic creatures."

Two thoughts. That's a very cute little shark at the start of the article and I can't wait for the sequel to Cocaine Bear. Cocaine Bear: The True Story Behind the Ultimate Party Animal

"Sharks off the coast of Brazil have tested positive for cocaine, scientists say.

Marine biologists tested 13 Brazilian sharpnose sharks taken from the shores near Rio de Janeiro and found they tested for high levels of cocaine in their muscles and livers.

The concentrations were as much as 100 times higher than previously reported for other aquatic creatures."

Two thoughts. That's a very cute little shark at the start of the article and I can't wait for the sequel to Cocaine Bear. Cocaine Bear: The True Story Behind the Ultimate Party Animal

What a wild movie! I dug it.

RE: Cocaine sharks -- 100 times higher?! That's got to be runoff from some processing labs (as mentioned) to be that elevated. I doubt their user poop theory is valid. Sharks eat fish but I doubt brown trout is their top choice.

Fun series of fictional books of scuba divers includes one story that includes possible cocaine doped sharks: The 3rd Key: Sharks in the Water, by Eric Douglas

RE: Cocaine sharks -- 100 times higher?! That's got to be runoff from some processing labs (as mentioned) to be that elevated. I doubt their user poop theory is valid. Sharks eat fish but I doubt brown trout is their top choice.
I found the study:

"All samples (13/13) tested positive for COC [cocaine], with 92 % (12/13) testing positive for BE. COC concentrations (23.0 μg kg−1) were over 3-fold higher than BE (7.0 μg kg−1). COC levels were about three-fold significantly higher in muscle (33.8 ± 33.4 g kg−1) compared to liver (12.2 ± 14.2 μg kg−1). Females presented higher COC concentrations in muscle (40.2 ± 35.8 μg kg−1) compared to males (12.4 ± 5.9 μg kg−1)."

A μg or microgram is a millionth of a gram, so we are only talking about concentrations of 0 to 70 parts per billion. This could easily come from environmental exposure.

Back
Top Bottom