Just realized I never did this...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrokern

Contributor
Reaction score
About 40 posts in, and I just realized I never really said hello. :facepalm:

My name is Mark...born in Wisconsin, but I'm fully converted over to Minnesota courtesy of my wife.

Quick facts about me:

Hockey (Minnesota Wild) FANATIC. I don't miss a single game all season...if I'm not at the arena, I'm watching at home. I DVR them if I'm going to be away during the game. I used to blog on the side about the team in a paid position, so I'm relatively knowledgable about the sport.

Firearms instructor...teach everything from carry permit courses to defensive handgun.

I've had a myriad of different jobs over the years...corrections, network admin, touring sound engineer, IT director...but I've landed in a job I really enjoy, doing IT sales for a large Cisco partner. For the most part, I like people. For the most part. :wink:

As for diving, for me it's all about wrecks. I've been fascinated by shipwrecks ever since I was a kid and the National Geographic issue about Bob Ballard finding the Titanic was delivered to my grandparent's house. I developed an interest in diving during college, but never really did anything about it. There really weren't any shops where I was living at the time, much less good dive sites in close proximity (limited budget, limited transportation). I moved to the Minneapolis metro in late 2005, and spent the next few years establishing a career, getting married, all that fun stuff. I was talking to my wife around February of this year, and just blurted out "I want to get certified as a scuba diver." And now I am.

I'm getting wet in the local lakes as much as possible, and should have Nitrox, Stress / Rescue, and Navigation classes done in the next few weeks. I'm fortunate to have a great dive buddy who is of the same mindset, but I'm always looking for other folks in the area who don't mind the low-viz and green hue of the 10,000 lakes around here. I won't know what to do with myself when I visit the Keys this fall...

-Mark

Back
Top Bottom