Just out of school

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I keep hearing that oil and gas industry is not going so well, and it's hard to get jobs offshore. Sense I am going to be right out of diving school is it a good idea to find a job working inland to get some experience. Even if my ultimate goal is deep offshore dives?

Yes the oil service industry is in a decline.
Does this mean no work - not quite

Once your schooling is done.
Talk with your counselor. Grab a list of companies and head on down. Phone calls will not do. Show your face at the office and ask if any position is available. if you get a no, wear them down by visiting weekly. Keep your nose clean, dress appropriately, be enthusiastic (do not woo them with your school knowledge). AND for godsake be nice but not flirty with the girls in the front office. They run the show LOL. If your lucky "they" will be in need of a redhat to fill a job. Even luckier they can put you to work in the shop. Learning the trade means understanding how a company operates, no better way than being a shop rat who wants to learn. Keep an open mind, fitting in is important, just, dont be a kiss-ass.

You are in for a rude awakening. Schools prepare you for the knowledge of diving. On the job training prepares you for the lifestyle.
best of luck meeting your goal.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom