Just ordered new tanks - anything to note?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A little late to add, but go with hot dip galvanized coating instead of the paint. It's more durable. Also, for rec diving, I'd recommend rethinking tank size and go with a 120. That's still a lot of air and the cylinder diameter is much friendlier for most charters. I've got both the faber fx 100s and 120s. I always spearfish with my 120's but the 100s are easier at times on charters because I have more than enough air with the 100's, and they are easier to kit up for me, since they aren't as tall as 120's.

I have the xs version of the fabers. The LDS said to avoid the FX. The tank is the same but the valve is better. I wasn't buying from the LDS so I'm assuming he was passing on non $ based advice. Anyway I have 4 of them, 2 100's for me and 2 80's for my daughter. The 80s haven't seen water yet but I've dove the 100's a couple times. They are my.... 1 billionth tank since I started diving (not really) but they seem to work well for me. I've only dove aluminum during my classes and on vacation, had a bunch of 72's, 120's and LP 95s. The 72's were the best of that bunch, but I wanted a little extra 'breathing room' so I'm on the 100's now. They seem to be good for my weighting. The LP95's were absolute anchors even empty with no weight I was really negative. I'm on maybe 4 pounds, no wet suit, with the 100's. I could likely do 2, and might get away with 0. I run out of bottom time before I run out of air, but I'm finishing nitrox now and staying at rec depth so that may change. I can't imagine needing to strap 130s on for my diving.

Longevity wise, the paint will get scuffed up, nothing to worry about unless you strike steel. Galvanized is no different in that aspect. As long as you're not seeing the actual tank material, it's just a mark. If you see steel, clean it and touch it up. Use gray paint for the painted, some cold galv for the galvanized tanks. Easy peasy.

I have basically the same ones just in 100cf, I got a few diving stickers and put them on there for identification. A few of my friends has the same tank and bought it around the same time so they look a exactly the same. Plus get a pressure gauge to check you psi level.

Back
Top Bottom