just one dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joebar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi
This holydays my girlfriend and I are making a round-trip in California.
It is NOT a dive-trip, but we will certainly see the Lake Tahoe.

Is it possible to go to a dive center and book just one dive, including gear rental?
Do you have a suggestion for a dive center?

I live in Switzerland, so I am used to dive high altitude and cold lakes.

joebar

Check with High Sierra Divers in Auburn, CA.

What holidays are you planning on being in tahoe?

Starting August 11th in San Francisco
Heading north to the redwoods
Crossing the mountains to the east
Heading south to the Yosemite National Park - 6 days horseback riding in the park
slowly turning back to San Francisco

On our way to the Yosemite Park we will pass the lake Tahoe around August 16th.
Is it possible and/or recommended to dive the Mono Lake?

I dont know anything about mono lake, sorry.

If you are going to tahoe diving Rubicon Point or Sand Beach are both great. Be prepared to arrive early(8am) as both are state parks and parking can be limited depending on crowds.

Starting August 11th in San Francisco
Heading north to the redwoods
Crossing the mountains to the east
Heading south to the Yosemite National Park - 6 days horseback riding in the park
slowly turning back to San Francisco

On our way to the Yosemite Park we will pass the lake Tahoe around August 16th.
Is it possible and/or recommended to dive the Mono Lake?

That trip sounds like its going to be amazing. After you see the redwoods i would precommend use HWY 299 and avoid 36(this is adangerous hwy to drive). It looks like the dive shop in Auburn, CA would line up with you trip if you are planning to cross the sierras on I-80. This would let you get fitted for dive gear at the shop.

Depends on your route and schedule. There are no dive shops around or near the lake, from other posts sounds like Auburn is closest on the CA side, but Reno is closer. So if you are passing north to south for a day at Tahoe it may become a logistics problem.

Good luck

Bob

Thanks, they slipped that one in on me in 2011, haven't been over that way since before they started. That would put it about 45 minutes out of south Lake Tahoe.

I stay at a friend's up on the north shore so it's the same time to Reno, more to Carson City, however I have enough tanks to haul enough up for the two or three days diving I'll do, so no need for refills on the trip.

Depends on where one stays on the lake which would be a quicker trip, both better than Auburn for a "quick" fill.

Bob

My former in-laws live in Minden Nevada so we would drive to the lake from there. There used to be another shop there. I believe it was called High Sierra Sports or something like that.

Hey all

Thanks for the info. I have now some ideas.
Part of the fun in holydays is the preparing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom