Just moved to the UK, were do I dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

delbuort

Reaction score
So, my family and I just moved to the UK. We live near RAF Feltwell in Norfolk. We've been here for almost four months, finally gotten settled in and am now looking for someplace to dive.

I've got a couple friends that dive, but only warm water, and say they've heard about a place called Stoney Cove. Then, there's always the obvious... go north to Scapa Flow.

I'd like to find someplace I can do as a day trip. My wife dives, but she has a hard time getting away from work and we have a two year old. So if we both go it usually has to be a weekday when he's in daycare.

I would like to find some other people to dive with too... since all my friends are pansies.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Jason

I heard the island has two or three divers and they started a website.

They might know where you can get wet. :cool:

http://www.bsac.org/

delbuort:
So, my family and I just moved to the UK. We live near RAF Feltwell in Norfolk. We've been here for almost four months, finally gotten settled in and am now looking for someplace to dive.

I've got a couple friends that dive, but only warm water, and say they've heard about a place called Stoney Cove. Then, there's always the obvious... go north to Scapa Flow.

I'd like to find someplace I can do as a day trip. My wife dives, but she has a hard time getting away from work and we have a two year old. So if we both go it usually has to be a weekday when he's in daycare.

I would like to find some other people to dive with too... since all my friends are pansies.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Jason

Hopefully some one will help you on here. Another board you can try:
http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/

We have a few members here who might be able to help out as well.....

Although I'm English myself I left the UK in 1978 and have never dived there. From what I understand though it's probably a good idea to join a diving club. I'm sure a search for clubs would pull up a few results...

Stoney is rubbish. Try to put it out of your mind.....

There are a quite few people that dive in the East Anglia area. Lowestoft has a RIB and a new boat set up in Wells this year. I doubt either do midweek dives though.

The best UK diving is in the South West and a long drive from where you are. The South Coast is easier - down the A12 to London and round the M25. The traffic is grim, but outside the peak summer months you should be OK.

Eastbourne, Newhaven and Brighton are what I would suggest. Eastbourne is the easiest in terms of traffic and a little bit closer.

Mike Keane can be found at http://www.sussexshipwrecks.co.uk/ he's a good skipper that takes individual divers or buddy pairs and has a very nice boat based in Eastbourne. He will also give you an honest view of the weather and visibility.

The Norfolk coast is very nice for walking and chilling out, but the vis is poor. If you are lucky enough to get good vis there are some nice wrecks there. Cromer pier is a shore dive that you might want to try at some point.

Have a good time.

Chris

Nice, I'll check out all the websites. Thanks.

Chris, good info. My stomach just tightend up when I saw the "M25" word in there. We took a little trip to Stonehenge a couple week ago and the GPS took us round the M25... that sucked. I've heard from a few other people the best diving is around the soutwest too though. I've gotta check it out soon.

Thanks for the name of the skipper, I'll make good use of it.

Cheers :) ,
Jason

Jason,

You can find a fair choice of UK charter boats here

Some clubs have their own boats and do their own thing, some charter boats from the above list. The BSAC link given above is pretty extensive. The various UK dive forums have 'spare spaces' lists, there are many independant divers getting their own trips together.

Adrian

On top of what the others have said, some of the best diving is nowhere near where you are living.

Excellent diving can be had along the south coast, West wales, Angelsey, Most of Scotland, The Farne Islands etc

Stoney is rubbish but, when you want to get wet in the summer and the wind is blowing a hooley, then it is often the only place that can guarentee a dive.

There's a place called Gildenburgh in a place called Whittlesea near Peterborough only a short drive from you and the people there at Dive In! are really friendly and always willing to hel[p. Some good wrecks down there and a dive can be guaranteed almost all year round. Brave the cold and give it a try!

I'd_rather_be_diving:
There's a place called Gildenburgh in a place called Whittlesea near Peterborough only a short drive from you and the people there at Dive In! are really friendly and always willing to hel[p. Some good wrecks down there and a dive can be guaranteed almost all year round. Brave the cold and give it a try!

Sweet, that just might be my weekend excursion. Thanks for the info.

Cheers

chrisch:
Stoney is rubbish. Try to put it out of your mind.....

Lies! All lies! Stoneycove is some of the best inland diving in the UK. It's a quarry in Leicestershire (StoneysStanton Village) and has 3 different depth levels down to 40m. Theres a helicopter, a Cessna plane and other assorted stuff to explore. Run by the best bunch I know with filling station, LDC and all. I did both my courses there and loved it all. Only problem is it's dry suits all year round! :D

There are also places like Pembrokeshire, and Welsh coast that I'm told are very good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom