Just joined from Austin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LoveTheMuck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’ve been reading the SB forum for years and just decided to join.

I got my OWC in Bonaire in 1997, dove once in Key Largo a couple of years later, then hit it hard in 2004 - new hubs was a diver! Hawaii, Bonaire, PNG (South New Britain and Kimbe Bay), Flower Gardens and Stetson Bank, Bonaire, Bonaire, Costa Rica...I have about 100 logged dives and 50 unlogged.

After a 10 year hiatus, I’m headed to the Red Sea next week and I’m freaking out. I booked a one-day boat dive with a local instructor - just him and me (but on a boat that belongs to a dive charter company). This was a last minute decision. I was just planning to float in the hotel pool.

I felt reasonably confident until I started reading Accidents and Incidents, almost none of which have anything in common with me, except that now I feel old (57), fat (I’m pretty round but I always have been as a diver), and COVID out-of-shape. The instructor assured me he would not take me on technically challenging dives. Great. I’ve done technically challenging dives - ripping current, 4’ chop at the surface, deep but not deco deep, night dives with bad vis and current, etc., but I am not and have no desire to become anything more than a competent, conservative diver.

Any tips on calming the eff down? The instructor knows my experience and I’m sure he’ll be checking my skills. I messed up by reading A&I, didn’t I?

Welcome to SB!

So if I understand correctly, the Red Sea will be the first time you have been diving in 10 years? If so, you could probably use what is called a "refresher course." Not just the instructor "checking" your skills as you dive but going over them in advance. If I were in your shoes, I would consider the day with the instructor to be a refresher course and I would make sure I used that specific term with the instructor so the instructor understands not just that I haven't dived in a long time but that I want a refresher course.

There is definitely some benefit to reading stories in the Accidents & Incidents forum. However, if you dive conservatively--stick to your self-imposed limits--then the more likely thing that can happen to you out of all the unlikely things that can happen to you is a health-related incident. I'm your age, increasingly feeling out of shape, and the (admittedly low) possibility of a medical event is the one thing that haunts me a bit.

I did a Red Sea dive trip several years ago, and it was great.

I *think* he knows that this would basically be a refresher course, but I will either make that explicitly clear or I will take a refresher course beforehand. I initially thought I’d be OK with a checkout dive, but clearly, even if I haven’t forgotten a thing, my anxiety is through the roof.

Maybe reading about rebreather tragedies and Oceanic Whitetip attacks was a good thing.

Oh, and thanks!

I *think* he knows that this would basically be a refresher course, but I will either make that explicitly clear or I will take a refresher course beforehand. I initially thought I’d be OK with a checkout dive, but clearly, even if I haven’t forgotten a thing, my anxiety is through the roof.

Taking a proper refresher course beforehand would be ideal. Then you can make the most out of your dive day.

Howdy and Welcome to SB from San Antonio!!! How could you not dive if you are going to be there? I bet you could do a quick refresher in a lake near Austin before you go, for safety and for peace of mind, so you can REALLY enjoy your Red Sea experience!!

Thanks! Sorry for the delayed response! You’re absolutely right. The only reason I was hesitating is that the trip was planned at the last minute, and none of my gear has been used or serviced in a few years.

Also, TBH, as much as I love the diving part of diving, everything else is such a hassle. I’m a good diver - an instructor for a diving for science class I took even wrote it in my log book . But I have ADHD, plus I have to wear scop patches because I get seasick, and it’s a bad combo. I CAN get myself ready safely, but I don’t like to. I just needed a push.

I’ve been reading the SB forum for years and just decided to join.

I got my OWC in Bonaire in 1997, dove once in Key Largo a couple of years later, then hit it hard in 2004 - new hubs was a diver! Hawaii, Bonaire, PNG (South New Britain and Kimbe Bay), Flower Gardens and Stetson Bank, Bonaire, Bonaire, Costa Rica...I have about 100 logged dives and 50 unlogged.

After a 10 year hiatus, I’m headed to the Red Sea next week and I’m freaking out. I booked a one-day boat dive with a local instructor - just him and me (but on a boat that belongs to a dive charter company). This was a last minute decision. I was just planning to float in the hotel pool.

I felt reasonably confident until I started reading Accidents and Incidents, almost none of which have anything in common with me, except that now I feel old (57), fat (I’m pretty round but I always have been as a diver), and COVID out-of-shape. The instructor assured me he would not take me on technically challenging dives. Great. I’ve done technically challenging dives - ripping current, 4’ chop at the surface, deep but not deco deep, night dives with bad vis and current, etc., but I am not and have no desire to become anything more than a competent, conservative diver.

Any tips on calming the eff down? The instructor knows my experience and I’m sure he’ll be checking my skills. I messed up by reading A&I, didn’t I?

Greetings from a fellow Austinite. Super-envious of your Red Sea trip. I'm not sure if you've already done the trip--if so,I hope it was great. If not, I suspect it will be amazing. I echo what the others have said about a refresher course. I began diving because my sweetie was OW certified but had gotten out of the sport due to having no dive buddy. It was very useful to her to take a refresher course.

Welcome!

How to calm down?
  • Stay within your limits
  • Dive with a buddy that respects your limits
  • More dives.
  • More training or refresher course
  • Take it slow/easy.

"I messed up by reading A&I, didn’t I?"

Not really. Most accidents are several compounding factors. Take it from a more objective approach, where each accident is a learning experience. By being informed, you're less likely to have an accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom