http://www.diveheart.org/

Just had two SUDS soldiers Dennis and Sam to Ft. Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Muggsy

SB Shows and Events
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We had a fabulous weekend Jan. 29th-Feb. 2nd, when SUDS soldiers Sam and Dennis came to Ft. Lauderdale to receive their Open Water Certifications. The diving was graciously donated by Jeff and Sherry at South Florida Diving Headquarters. Every night we had a different itinerary. Dinner was donated on Thursday at
Greek Islands Taverna
www.greekislandstaverna.com
they are located at 3300 N. Ocean Blvd. Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33308 (954)565-5505
It was really busy and they got us in immediately to a table. Great people and great conversation, what more can you ask for?
We then went diving Friday in the morning for 2 dives. Since the weather was calling for high seas Sat., we decided to do 4 dives Friday. Since we were so cold and it was raining, winding, and cold we used our wreck room at our place, and Zio's pizza ( www.ziospizza.com ) delivered excellent pizza to us. The owner of Zio's Pizza, Billy, is an awesome guy and his son too is in the military. Billy came himself to deliver the pizzas and thank Dennis and Sam personally for their great service to our country.
Zio's Pizza
www.ziospizza.com is located at 4370 N. Federal Hwy Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33308
We then went diving Sat. afternoon 2 dives since the weather turned out to not be too bad. It was cold, but the seas were not too rough. After diving we then went to dinner where Flanigan's www.flanigans.net
donated dinner and drinks for the soldiers. We had a great time. There were 15 in our group and I know Dennis and Sam enjoyed everyone's support. Flanigan's donated last time we had SUDS marines Josh and Tim in Ft. Lauderdale. They have numerous locations throughout South Florida. Their location at 2500 E. Atlantic Blvd. Pompano Beach, FL (954)943-3762 has always taken care of the men and women of SUDS.
I want to thank all of those who have put so much time into making these SUDS soldiers and marines have such a great trip to Ft. Lauderdale. I look forward to seeing you all again in the near future. We really appreciate all of the donations from the restaurants and especially South Florida Diving Headquarters who continually donate diving to any of the SUDS soldiers and marines to get them diving and keep them diving. None of these trips could happen without everyone's donations and support!
Please ScubaBoard members support these fine establishments and thank them for their support!

Last edited:
Thanks for helping these guys out.

Two years ago I was in physical therapy for a crush injury and several days a week I would share my mornings with a number of the same guys. Most were much younger than me but two kids in particular amazed me. One was a mortar team member and the other I dont recall. Both were with me for shrapnel injuries in their arms which had limited moblity some but not enough for the USMC to board them out. Spending weeks with 19-20 yr old kids who are getting their arms stretched out because their elbows had caught chunks of steel while in service is sobering enough but even that is not what still sticks in my mind. During one particular morning we were talking about their first days going into Iraq and some of their experiences. When these guys and their unit had gotten to Iraq they were all issued the long body armor but only one plate was issued to each man as there wasnt enough to issue the two that they were supposed to receive. Their story which is some ways is a little chilling is about how for some time that day all the young guys in the unit were trying to decide whether it was better to install the plate in the chest pocket or the back (spine) pocket. It seems that nobody could decide whether they wanted to protect the front or the back. Even after getting wounded and sitting with me at the Navy Hospital they still thought this was hilarious and were having a laugh over it. What a decision to make at 18. I dont recall but I think they were from the 31st MEU or 3rd Marines.

I sometimes wish that the "average" American could see what we overseas see everyday in our fellow countrymen. I live on a marine corps base and its not uncommon for many of my neighbors to be gone at the same time in some far corner of the world where generally they are in harms way. My kids routinely play with other kids whose mom or dad is just "gone". Yet when they return its only a nod and a wave and a greeting and I have never heard any bitching or whining. There are many reasons to be proud those who serve whether its dedication, giving, courage or just volunteering to hold the line.

By participating in the diving program with wounded veterans in my opinion you give me another reason to feel proud of a fellow American. Good job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom