Just had our first child, time to sell my gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 21 month old girl.

Just bought a rebreather.
For her? I suppose she is too young for a rebreather, better to wait she is at least 8 years old for it...

For her? I suppose she is too young for a rebreather, better to wait she is at least 8 years old for it...
Now that you mention it, her second birthday is coming up.....

I don't think I could get much value selling it, the most recent gear is still a 4 year old Shearwater w 300 dives on it. The rest, Mk17 regs, halcyons backplate wing and SMBs, are all 10+ years with 1k dives on it.
Scubapro regulators and Shearwater computers should sell just fine on the used market for around 50% msrp. Backplates don't really go bad, although wings and smb's can wear out. You should be able to sell the stuff if you decide that's the route you want to go.

While international travel is limited, domestic travel in the US is booming.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably sell the stuff and buy new stuff when I resumed diving.

Sell all of your gear. By the time you back into diving in 15 years, your gear will be obsolete and rotted.

Sell your gear now while it's still worth something.

In the future you can buy new, modern equipment.

If you get 20 dives in before the kids are fifteen, at $50 a dive full kit rental by two divers that's $2000 you are not going to get that for your used gear. Cleaned and kept dry they will last way more than ten years. Physics will not change so computers will remain relevant, may mis out on some bells and whistles but oh well.

I began purchasing scuba gear in 1987, when I was a 32-year-old graduate student. Began my family in 2001; my eldest daughter will be a college junior this fall. I still dive with some of my very first gear purchased--e.g., Scubapro Mk 10 + Balanced Adjustable + analog gauges, Jet Fins, and Sherwood Genesis/PST HP 80's (which were just re-hydroed).

FWIW,

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom