Just got home from a Rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I’m laying down trying to heal from the creepy crud that’s been going around and watching the California 500.

Dale Jr. has just changed his second flat tire and was a couple of laps down when I hear the dreaded BEEEP, BEEEP, BEEEEP, BEEEEP.

My first thought is this is a joke. Who would do something stupid while I'm watching the race. I’m not a Football or Baseball nut but I do like to watch the races, so leave me alone!!! :D

I grab the pager hoping to see just a number to call for whatever but it reads, “2 MEN THROUGH THE ICE 22131 N. ROSE LANE LOWER TWIN LAKES PUBLIC LAUNCH – CENTRAL 1320 HOURS”.

Those two are lucky I had the videotape rolling already or they would have just had to wait a while longer.

I get dressed, kiss my sweetie, fly out the door, into the car, light it up and check into service at 1322 hours.

Now a 12-mile fight through heavy, heavy traffic. One group of over 100 motorcycles was just a “B” to get through without picking up a few like mosquito’s on the windshield.

I get on scene at 1331 hours behind two other divers that were on duty. Already on scene was Timberlake Fire/Rescue whose station is only 500 yards away. They already had one Rescue Alive deployed and as I exited my car to get dress Rescue Alive arrived.

I suited for surface with one other diver while all others suit up to dive. Boy was that a mistake on my part. The victims were 650’ from shore. If you have never used a Rescue Alive, it is a great tool but exhausting to use over distances like that.

This is my third actual rescue using the Rescue Alive but never over this kind of distance. The Firemen got the first victim while we got the second. Once they were secure we went back to recover the boat and sled with all the fishing gear on board.

That was the first time I have ever seen our team leader sit down from exhaustion. He was beat. I kept up a good show but he is only two years older than my son. Hey this old poop stayed with the snotty nose kid.

Anyway we ended up saving two lives today along with their gear. The first guy through the ice was in his mid 70’s and I’m not sure of the other one’s age but he appeared much younger. Both are going to be fine after they warm up.

We still have a lot of ice but our air temps have been in the 50’s or higher. That ice is very rotten so we are expecting more calls of a similar nature.

Here is the Sat photo of the area. It was straight out from the end of the boat ramp, which is the road headed to the lake from the right side. Zoom out to see the entire lake.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=11&Z=11&X=1276&Y=13255&W=1

OK, I’m back watching the race but I’m totally lost as to what has happened :(

We ended up with 5 divers on scene with three suited to dive in a hurry. They made me proud of them again.

Gary D.

fairbanksdiver:
Those Rescue Alive units look very useful. Gotta love that pricing though... certaintly doesn't look like a $3k item. Agency pricing is scary.

Congrats on a safe/succesful rescue!

-Brandon.
The price does seem high but we have several throughout the county. They have been worth every cent.

We lost one out of the truck on the freeway which caused very little damage. Even though I was able to repair a couple of bent hinges the company sent us new ones at no charge knowing the damage was our fault.

A great little tool if you have ice.

Gary D.

Good Job Gary! Never know when, what or where! Wouldn't it be nice to be able to plan for stupidity?????

ok, sorry for the ignrant question, but what's a Rescue Alive?

H2Andy:
ok, sorry for the ignrant question, but what's a Rescue Alive?
It's one of the best tools ever invented for dealing with any kind of ice. I have posted several pic's with us training with them.

Here is a link: http://www.rescuealive.com/rescuealive.html

Some pic's:
So when we can't do this.
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/9495/cat/500/page/3
We use this :D http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/14318/cat/500/page/6

I was going to post the news article but it hasn't come out yet.

Gary D.

good pics, gary, thank you

and good job

Bob3:
Dang nabbit Gary, I just looked at your gallery & now I've got the chills!!! :11:
where are my long johns at, it's only 68° here today... :11ztongue
68? Talk about overheating.............. :D Get into the shade quick, ya just might melt in them temps.

We have been warm almost all winter. It's been like a warm spring for quite a while and we are less than 20% of snowpack which is real bad. Might make for a long busy summer.

Hey, something I forgot to mention was that my preaching is paying off. One of the newer team members beat me getting suited. Then he was upset because I beat him to the Rescue Alive and took off. The snotty nose kid is learning quick. Made me proud of him.

The sad part is stuff like this isn't even news worthy anymore. The media is so tired of covering this stuff that unless someone dies they aren't interested. They showed up just as we were securing and asked how many died. I said we got them both back safely and it was an Oh, nobody died? Not much of a story there.

They should write about all of these to keep awareness up but they don't. Oh well.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom