Just got Dive Rite 901 drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a 901 back in the Spring. I've done 16 dives in it. I like it a lot!

I don't know if it will prove to be as durable as my Seaskin trilam, but it sure is a lot lighter! That seems to translate pretty well into being a bit easier to don/doff, and a bit more comfy to just have on.

I got the version with replaceable seals. I fit Ultima dry glove rings to the Slaggo wrist system and they work well. I still like the Kubi rings and dry glove system better. They are less bulky. But, the Slaggo/Ultima gloves have definitely kept me dry!

I added the Dive Rite low profile pee valve myself. That was easy.

The only thing I wish was different is the pockets. I really do prefer zippered pockets. But, as velcro flap pockets go, the ones on the DR 901 are nice.

Thanks for the response! Any other thoughts vs Seaskin? Think it’s worth the extra money so far? Pockets are fine I prefer velcro myself!

Thanks for the response! Any other thoughts vs Seaskin? Think it’s worth the extra money so far? Pockets are fine I prefer velcro myself!

They are both good suits. The DR has pretty limited options. The Seaskin has just about any option you can think of. If both offer the options you want, and the DR has a size option that fits you well, then the differences come down to these (I think):

If the DR size you want is in stock, you could have it in a matter of days. Seaskin will be probably 2 to 3 months. Maybe longer.

The DR is lighter and a little more comfy to wear on the surface, which is nice. But, it may not be as durable. Only you can decide what you require on that front.

The DR is more money, without a doubt.

Only you and your wallet can decide if you prefer the DR or the Seaskin, and if you prefer the DR, whether it is "worth it" or not.

I teach for a shop that is a Dive Rite dealer, so my cost on my DR suit is almost certainly less than what any "normal" customer would pay. I wanted to try one and I wanted to have a suit to use when teaching that is a brand my shop sells. So, all things considered, the price I paid was worth it to me. But, that is a different equation than you probably have.

They are both good suits. The DR has pretty limited options. The Seaskin has just about any option you can think of. If both offer the options you want, and the DR has a size option that fits you well, then the differences come down to these (I think):

If the DR size you want is in stock, you could have it in a matter of days. Seaskin will be probably 2 to 3 months. Maybe longer.

The DR is lighter and a little more comfy to wear on the surface, which is nice. But, it may not be as durable. Only you can decide what you require on that front.

The DR is more money, without a doubt.

Only you and your wallet can decide if you prefer the DR or the Seaskin, and if you prefer the DR, whether it is "worth it" or not.

I teach for a shop that is a Dive Rite dealer, so my cost on my DR suit is almost certainly less than what any "normal" customer would pay. I wanted to try one and I wanted to have a suit to use when teaching that is a brand my shop sells. So, all things considered, the price I paid was worth it to me. But, that is a different equation than you probably have.
Have you noticed if it is more comfortable underwater as well? I have a preference for more durable, but I have seen in other review people saying it has never leaked in a couple years, which would be nice if true. Does the quality of seams and such seem about equal on both suits?
From research it seems the DR is over double the price of Seaskin...

Also thanks for answering my list of questions, appreciate it.

Have you noticed if it is more comfortable underwater as well? I have a preference for more durable, but I have seen in other review people saying it has never leaked in a couple years, which would be nice if true. Does the quality of seams and such seem about equal on both suits?
From research it seems the DR is over double the price of Seaskin...

Also thanks for answering my list of questions, appreciate it.

I can't say I can tell any difference in the water.

I also can't say I have really examined the seams on the DR suit. I did examine the Seaskin thoroughly when I got it, it being a somewhat unknown quantity - particularly at the time I got mine. My Seaskin is over 5 years old and the seams all still seem to be fine.

With the DR, I was more inclined to just assume it would be good and go dive it. If I have a problem, Dive Rite is great on customer service and they are not far away, so... in that case, I'll just let them deal with it.

If I were going to fly somewhere with a drysuit, I would definitely take the DR suit over the Seaskin. That is where the lower weight would be REALLY nice, I think. And it's less bulky when packed for travel.

Back
Top Bottom