Just got certified!! woohoo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slimster

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone

My name is Ken and I'm 53 yrs old. I just finished doing my open water dives 3 weeks ago in Gilboa Quarry and it was a blast. My wife and I travel south (cruise) every year for a vacation and up to this point I had to be happy to snorkel while there, but I decided last year that it was time to get a Scuba certification. I looked into the scuba course that was offered on the ship but realized that it wasn't what I really wanted.. so I signed up for a SDI weekend course through London Scuba Centre (London, Ontario) and then did my open water a month later and now I realize how much I still need to learn. It's now very late in the Scuba season here in Ontario but I hope to get in at least 1 more dive this fall and then I'm heading to the Caribbean in Dec. I'm planning to dive in Belize and I've signed up through the Cruise ship for one of their excursions. That made the most sense to me in terms of time and my inexperience. I have many questions now about equipment purchases but I know there is lots of info on the boards. I hope to learn much from the rest of you.

Ken

I have a really great beginner BCD that I JUST posted to BCD sales if you're interested, the price will only go up in the spring. It s 2008 SeaQuest latitude XLT, size is M/L (medium/Large) great for a 5'10"-6'2" person, check it out!

Welcome to the board and the sport Ken.

Shore-excursion diving would be a good way to start since you already cruise.
Couple of quick pointers...
1) Consider bringing your own BC and Regs, as well as the fins and mask.
Having your personal gear adds to your diving comfort, if you do buy gear be sure to do several pool sessions or openwater dives before cruising with it.
2) Book rooms with a balcony... great place to put wet gear for drying
3) If luggage space is an issue, call ahead to the dive operator and make sure they have equipment you'd be comfortable using.

Most of all enjoy the experence!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom