Just Got Back Late Last Night from Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marshallkarp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What a shock waking up at home in bed. My first thought was, where am I?

Well, what can I say, the week just shot by and was all too short. I posted a note during the week, when I could get to a computer, but here are my early morning return thoughts.

You better like relaxation, beach, ocean, and water activities if you travel to Ambergris Caye.

The food was very good. I got braver during the week eating the local cuisine. My wife has a sensitive stomach and she really did okay, which was a big surprise. Most of our meals were at the Costa Maya Resort Restaurant and you could tell that a chef prepared the meals. We did dinner downtown twice, but I can't remember the names of the places, however, the food was good at both.

We drank bottle water and pop out of a can and bottle all week. I just did not trust water out of a faucet. Early in the week, my wife said when she turns the shower on, the drain has a funny smell to it. I suspected that it was not the drain, but the water. Having said that, the water is supposed to be safe to drink, so have at it.

The diving was eighty five degree temperature. Visibility changed from perfect to good during the coming and going of tropical storms. It was very nice to get up in the morning, go to the boat on the resort dock, go out beyond the reef, dive, come back to the resort for surface interval and go back out for a second dive. I did this almost everyday.

The weather started out very hot, very humid, and very sticky early in the week, but was actually pleasant the last few days due to the clouds. Yesterday, as we were leaving, it went back to very hot, very humid, and very sticky.

The resort staff was all very friendly and helpful. The resident islanders that we met and talked to all seemed the same. We felt reasonably safe walking the San Pedro streets, not secure but safe.

I will be posting photos and video on my blog at www.marshallkarp.com.

The water is safe as far as bacterial contamination but it was loaded with chlorine when I lived there.

The town water supply is safe to drink, but at Costa Maya they may well not be on town water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom