Just got back from AKR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vanshook

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am having MAJOR withdrawals! We stayed a week in a Key room with no A/C. We are from Miami so we are used to heat/humidity (though I use A/C at home constantly). With the Ocean breeze, we did not mind it. This was our first time to Roatan/AKR. We were there from 2/16/03-2/23/03. We flew TACA on a direct flight (no lost luggage).

The diving was great. We only had one day of rough weather, the rest were almost perfect. We saw everything (Octopus, free swimming Moray eel, Sea Turtles, Puffers, Triggers, wild dolphins, etc.) but a whale shark. This is the season for Whale sharks but they were hiding from us this time around.

Unlike many others, we did not have many mosquito problems. I was prepared for the worst (I am a mosquito magnet) and actually only used insect repellent one day! I think this may have been an unusual circumstance as I could see how that area would be a mosquito heaven.

As for the resort, we loved it. The food was great, the facilities/staff were nice, and the other (not SCUBA) activities (horses, dolphins, etc.) were plenty to keep us busy. We went into the towns of Coxen Hole and West End to do some shopping. Though Coxen Hole is a little bigger it is dirty and dingy, I preferred West End for a day in town shopping, etc.

The only complaint I had was that our dive master was not very astute at finding creatures. He basically briefed us on the dive, swam with us and counted everyone on the surface. The times we saw neat stuff, other divers found it, not the DM. We actually had another DM one day and he was great, found octopi at night, a toad fish (VERY hard to find), etc. So, I think it was just this particular DM, not all of them.

Overall, we enjoyed ourselves and would definitely come back. They should include professional counseling for those returning home, I am not ready to go back to the real world after a week of eating, diving, diving, eating, knapping, diving, shopping, diving, eating, sleeping. I will have some photos online as soon as I can. I’ll let you guys know when they are up.

Joe Shook
Miami, FL

My wife and I also recently got back from AKR (we were there one week before you), and we also had vacation withdrawal when we returned. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed the diving, the food, the horses, etc. The only thing that spoiled our trip was being stuck in Dallas/Fort Worth on the way back for 5 days because of the "storm of the century."

Nice dive report but we need more details!!!!:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom