Just curious...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoomi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I picked up the full-length, one-piece Lavacore suit for our upcoming trip to Kona.

I was wondering, though - when layered underneath a conventional wetsuit, what is the general effect? I.E., if worn beneath a 3mm, does it give the combined insulation of, say, a 5mm?

Not that I think we're going to need much more in Kona, but I started thinking of how well it would work to layer it under my 6-5-4 wetsuit for California kelp forest diving. I've been told that a 7mm is bare minimum for California diving, but if the Lavacore gives sufficient additional insulation, that might be a good option.

It is thin and will not prevent water from reaching your skin. I doubt it is any better than any 1mm suit. For what they are charging they need a good tech story!

I dive CA dry. That is my best advice as the wet crowd all gets cold, some sooner than others. In the end they are dry or wondering how long we will stay down. The answer, till we hit NDL or the diving time limit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom