Just curious...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdowndh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Before anyone directs me elsewhere, I intentionally did not post this in the Olympus discussion area, it really is independant of the type of camera. I thought it would be useful to describe what I have though...
I have an Olympus Stylus 600, with the Olympus underwater housing. I used to have a digital camera for my land pics on vacation, and I had a 35mm underwater camera (Sea and Sea MX5). I like the fact that I now have a single camera for both land and underwater, it is somewhat a pain to get ready for diving having to put it all in the underwater housing, etc. but I think it is part of the fun of diving - all the equipment readiness.
So, my point of this thread is, I sometimes get some strange looks from other underwater photographers on boats. It may just be that I haven't spent thousands of dollars for my camera setup but I think a point-and-shoot is a great way to get pretty dang good pics on my dive, while not making my dives taken over by a big bulky camera setup.
Are there others out there that would agree that a simple point-and-shoot solution for underwater pics work for you too? I haven't run into anyone who uses a camera, unless it is a big expensive setup. I love to dive but like the ease of use of the small footprint my camera has. It stays out of the way until I need it, and still have ended up with some really fabulous pictures. I just wondered what others think about it.... I *do* know that when we get back on the boat and I'm reviewing my digital pics (inside the housing, of course) that many non-camera divers ask me to email them some of the great pics I end up with! So, in summary, just curious about what other more serious underwater photographers really think about my setup. Are the "strange" looks just my very introverted imagination <grin>? I absolutely am not trying to stir up any heated discussions, but really would like to have some honest answers from some more professional underwater photographers.... please tell me I"m just paranoid!
Thanks!

I would say it is your imagination, I dove for several years with a P&S and I would still say that the majority of cameras I see on the boats and underwater (where I go) are P&S types.

That is their problem. I have the Olympus SP-350 which is basically a point and shoot. I did not see any reason to spend huge amounts of money on a fancy camera set up. Just take one look at my dive gear and you will see I don't care what other divers think.

I went on a trip about a year ago and there were about 20 of us on the boat and I think 90% of the divers had your basic P&S type of camera in one fashion or another.

It is a personal choice, so don't worry about it and to be honest I don't think anyone really pays that much attention to your camera unless they are in the market to buy one and want to know what you have and how you like it.

Just have fun and enjoy!

(as an aside although I am not a professional, I am a pretty serious photographer, on land anyway)

diverdowndh:
Are the "strange" looks just my very introverted imagination <grin>?

please tell me I"m just paranoid!
Thanks!

Not just paranoid, likely delusional as well! :D

The majority of cameras I see on boats are the PnS variety.

I generally get LOOKS when I carry my D200 on the boat... It's kinda HUGE! :eyebrow:

Most of the cameras I see on a boat are of the point and shoot variety as well. But in the end, why even be concerned about what anyone else uses? You are shooting pictures for your own reasons and if what you're using suits your purpose, then go with it.

I shoot what I shoot (a D200 like Ron) because it does what I need it to do. My reasons are my own as to why I switched from a point and shoot to dSLR. For me, I could not get the shots I wanted with a p&s system because of the limitation in the lens - that would be the primary reason. Others will have their own reasons. It's not about good equipment or bad equipment, cheap or expensive. Or what others think. It's about having the right gear for the job.

Warren_L:
Most of the cameras I see on a boat are of the point and shoot variety as well. But in the end, why even be concerned about what anyone else uses? You are shooting pictures for your own reasons and if what you're using suits your purpose, then go with it.

I shoot what I shoot (a D200 like Ron) because it does what I need it to do. My reasons are my own as to why I switched from a point and shoot to dSLR. For me, I could not get the shots I wanted with a p&s system because of the limitation in the lens - that would be the primary reason. Others will have their own reasons. It's not about good equipment or bad equipment, cheap or expensive. Or what others think. It's about having the right gear for the job.

So sell me your D70.

Toss me a number....seriously.

I don't have the right gear for any shooting I can do :wink:

diverdowndh:
I have an Olympus Stylus 600, with the Olympus underwater housing. So, my point of this thread is, I sometimes get some strange looks from other underwater photographers on boats. It may just be that I haven't spent thousands of dollars for my camera setup but I think a point-and-shoot is a great way to get pretty dang good pics on my dive, while not making my dives taken over by a big bulky camera setup.
It stays out of the way until I need it, and still have ended up with some really fabulous pictures. I just wondered what others think about it.... I *do* know that when we get back on the boat and I'm reviewing my digital pics (inside the housing, of course) that many non-camera divers ask me to email them some of the great pics I end up with! So, in summary, just curious about what other more serious underwater photographers really think about my setup. Are the "strange" looks just my very introverted imagination <grin>? I absolutely am not trying to stir up any heated discussions, but really would like to have some honest answers from some more professional underwater photographers
Thanks!

I used to work on liveaboards for 6 years out in the Indo-Pacific and see photographers of all skill levels with every type of camera imaginable from the most basic point and shoot to the fanciest (and most expensive) Canons and Nikons out on the market today. Some of the best guest images I have ever seen were taken with simple point and shoot cameras. The best mandarinfish shot I have ever seen taken was by nice woman from England with an Olympus 5050, in an Olympus housing with a single rented strobe (Sea and Sea YS 90). Personally, I have taken some images myself with the 5050 in Program mode and Shutter Priority which rival some of the photos captured with my Nikon D70, 200 and some Canons I have used. I say this because great images can be taken with any type of camera with a little thought and understanding. Your camera is great, travels light, and you seem very happy with your images which is the only true thing that matters. Have fun, and feel proud that fellow divers love your work!

As a diving operator I see a ton of cameras come through daily. Easily more than 95% of them are compacts and of those, maybe only 1 in 10 have external strobes or lenses. So I think it's your imagination :wink:

Compacts are excellent diving companions and still the best option, imho, for the greatest number of divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom