Just came back from Playacar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All .... returned yesterday, and thanks to all for advice.
The decisions made were based on comments here and on Scubaboard, decided against Cozumel .... many advised that as I frequently dive Sharm, that poor condition of Coz reefs would be disappointment.

So booked (and really glad we did) to stay at Playacar which is the posh part alongside Playa Del Carmen.
Stayed at the fantastic Riu Tequilla Resort .. not a single thing wrong with that place, superb pools, great food, good entertainment, choice of restaurants, would go again tomorrow.
First time I have had a room where they top up the free mini-bar daily, even had our own set of optics for spirits !
Dived with Scuba Libre (aka -Dive Mex) ... you say where or what you want to dive and they sort it for you, initially did some of the reefs - Tortuga & Barracuda, and while the general reef state is poor, did see 7 turtles on one dive alone ! ....

Then went and dived Cenotes .... (apologies for boring the knowledgeable) these are former limestone caves, that have now become completely flooded. The result is absolute clear water ... like diving in Evian !
Fantastic Stalagmite & Stalactite formations, pillars, columns etc. .... and because the water is so clear and zero current, it is like floating in air.

The Haloclines .... wow ! ....
I had heard of them ... boundary between salt water and fresh water .... we went early to one Cenote system, Chac Mool - specifically noted for it’s Haloclines, and were the first in ... when we went through tunnels to one of the caverns, the dive guide stopped and illuminated what looked like a line of quartz or similar following the rock wall, then as we dropped down to it, it was actually the boundary layer - undisturbed it was only a few cm thick, then as you dive though it you pass from Salt water to Fresh water, the Salt water being a good couple of degrees warmer.

Having been through it the boundary spreads .. so that you can then swim through the halocline itself, weird ... totally blurred vision ... could just make out dive lights of my buddy ... go up half a metre ... crystal clear waster, go down half a metre again crystal clear .. but in-between, just incredible.
It shows to a degree on a video clip -
http://www.esnips.com/web/Argonaut-ScubaDiving
Looks like the shimmer you see on ’Stargate’

There are rules, and safety points - see this sign at end of one tunnel
http://tinyurl.com/2ztosa
.... but after diving the first Cenote ... we then dived them every day ... to use an American term 'Truly awesome'

I would certainly go back to Mexico … and with the $ to £ value, it’s getting cheaper to do this.

Dived with Scuba Libre (aka -Dive Mex) ... you say where or what you want to dive and they sort it for you, initially did some of the reefs - Tortuga & Barracuda, and while the general reef state is poor, did see 7 turtles on one dive alone ! ....

Were you on the boat Thursday, 3/13?

det

The cenotes in the Yucatan are world class, if not the class of the world. They are the real gem for divers on the mainland. If you want really good reefs, try Bonaire. You should be able to catch a good deal with KLM out of Amsterdam.

On a final note, get out of the AI, try some of the places the locals eat and enjoy 5th Ave in PDC.

Were you on the boat Thursday, 3/13?

det

No ... on the boat on 9th ... and it was rough, first time I have had to swim out to a bost to get on it. though big waves ... ... which was interesting, carrying all your kit ... but no cylinder.
Then trying to get up the boarding ladder, when bottom rung is at chest level !

The cenotes in the Yucatan are world class, if not the class of the world. They are the real gem for divers on the mainland. If you want really good reefs, try Bonaire. You should be able to catch a good deal with KLM out of Amsterdam.

On a final note, get out of the AI, try some of the places the locals eat and enjoy 5th Ave in PDC.

Agree about Bonnaire ... drive & dive is a good concept.

The AI was the only thing that made sense ... flight & hotel seperate were too expensive, I did get down to 5th Ave a couple of nights, & looking at the price of food & drink, glad I did go AI .....

You need to get off 5th for the best eats at decent prices. El Fogon and HC Monterey will beat any restaurant on 5th at a third of the cost. Given the cost of a location on 5th, I can understand the pricing but choose to not spend my money there.

Back
Top Bottom