Just bought a Scout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rwkosh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I dive in Southern California, always from a boat. With typical viz, I usually find the boat about 30% of the time and was really getting tired of surface swims through kelp, sometimes fighting a current. I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Scout.

Did my first dive with it yesterday and didn't expect much, since I know there is a learning curve with any new piece of gear. I could not have been more wrong. It really works!

I suspended the transmitter at 15 fsw and intentionally ignored my compass for the entire dive. I had very little idea of where I was by the end of the dive and had to completely depend on the Scout to guide me back to the boat. Of the four of us diving, two of the divers followed me and we all ended up right on the anchor line. When I got up to 15 feet for my safety stop, I could reach out and touch the transmitter. It could not have worked out better.

The one diver who decided to follow his compass back instead of following me, ended up surfacing well after we did, and he was a good 75 -100 feet from the boat--not bad, but not dead on either.

If you want to consistently find your way back to a boat in lousy viz, the Scout really works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom