Just back from Riviera Maya...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flashover604

Reaction score
We stayed at the Copacabana. Food wasn't the best, but the resort was very nice. The dive shop was small, and didn't sell anything, but the operator, Renado Ardigo, was very nice, and accomodating. I did four ocean dives and two cenote dives. The ocean dives were great. We left from the beach, walked to the boat anchored thirty feet offshore, handed our gear to the captain, and climbed on-board. There were never more than four paying divers on the boat, with one to two guides. Jorge was my guide on the first three dives. Very knowledgeable, and friendly. Julio was my guide on the fourth. Very good also. For the cenote dives, Dario picked us up at the resort. We dove at "Dos Ojos". These are the two best dives I've ever done. Period. If you are in this region, DO NOT MISS THIS DIVE!

flashover604, I'll be on the Riviera Maya at the beginning of May. I'm looking for information about diving there. I hadn't considered cenote dives until I read your post. The "two best dives" you've ever done! That's impressive. Can you tell me how cold the water was and what you needed to wear for temperature protection?

Timetraveler, do a google search for Riviera Maya or cenotes diving and you'll find a million sites and dive shops in the yucatan with plenty of info. I have a great book on the subject by Steve Gerrard, "Cenotes of the Riviera Maya" which you can see more of here:

www.cenotesoftherivieramaya.com

Or check out the author's webpage at:

www.deephorizon.info

This book and a new one by Lalo Fiorelli, "Hidden Splendors of the Yucatan" are both available directly from the publisher:

www.aquaquest.com

(free shipping in the US!)

Just returned from Riv Maya at the Gran Bahia Principe resorts. Used Bahia Divers at the resort and felt as if I was well cared for and they took care of all of the setups. At the Cenotes, Victor and Arturo were the DM's with 4 divers. Arturo videotaped the dive and edited it to a DVD. Victor explained the geology and history of the area and was a great host. Their equipment was well cared for and the suits were very clean and fresh. To avoid confusion their is another biz there called Bahia Cave Divers and had former ties to the resort but is no longer associated. Don't know the story...

The reef dive was well planned and executed however the life their was minimal except for a Hawksbill turtle and a fun loving Ramora that liked the Michigan divers without wetsuits. Must have been the pale skin... The deep dive wasn't near as good as the shallower dives.

If sea life is your thing - go to the Xel-ha National park and snorkel all day. Rays, jacks, pargos, turtles, a very imposing 6' barracuda, caves, cliff jumping, cool nature walk with a rope swing into a spring, a lazy river-like float or snorkel jaunt, etc. Get there early or get in line - stay all day. More enjoyable and cheaper in your own gear. Also Dolphin swims, shopping, and restaurants.

Water temp in Ocean was 79 degrees at 100'. Two tank dives and no wetsuit. Very comfy. Most used a shorty.
Water temp at Dos Ojos Cenotes was 75 degrees throughout and I used a 3mm shorty while everyone else chose a full. At the end of second tank I began to chill and overconsumed air although the second tank was a shorter dive.

They used the rule of thirds - 1000#'s in, turn @ 2000# remaining, finish with 1000#s for insurance.

The Cenotes will leave you breathless...oops! I mean they're amazing.

husband and i dove Dos Ojos in November. it was our first cenote dive. it was totally awesome. i agree. would love to do more of those! used Hidden Worlds dive op. was totally satisfied. and they picked us up from our resort and took us back for no extra charge.

flashover604:
We dove at "Dos Ojos". These are the two best dives I've ever done. Period. If you are in this region, DO NOT MISS THIS DIVE!

I wholeheartedly agree.. diving at Dos Ojos was mind-blowing. The only thing that disappointed me was that I only booked 2 dives there. We used these guys:
www.mantadivers.com and they were fantastic.
If anyone is even remotely interested in it and you are in the area, you HAVE to try it.
It is the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom