just back from Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sigelr

Registered
Reaction score
just got back from Maui. We used Ed Robinson's and they do a great job. If reserving with them, be sure to clarify the diver to DM ratio you're booking. I just called and booked the dives unaware of any difference (they didn't ask me either) and it turns out that we were put on the 4-1 (vs. 6-1) ratio boats. Not a big deal, and the service was excellent but you do pay a little more ($10/person/divetrip) for the lower ratio. As to the diving, Lanai is a must. We did a site that (i believe) was called Lighthouse Point (or something like that) and saw lots of different and rare sealife -- sharks, male and female whitley boxes, bandit angels, dark long nosed butterfly etc. etc. Did Cathedrals 2 for the second dive. One thing to be aware of is that there is far less actual coral and almost no sponges, seafans etc. as compared to the Caribbean. Also, while others were "Oohing and Aahing" about the viz, I actually thought it was less than what I've been used to in the Caribbean (Caymans, Grand Turk, Cozumel etc.). That said, I saw types of sealife that I had never seen anywhere else so, in my opinion, it all balaces out. Snorkeling and shore diving is great at Honolua Bay which is North of Kaanapali beach. You can get tanks at the Maui dive shop in Whalers village or Kahana. When not diving, try some of the hiking trails. We hiked to a 400 ft. waterfall by going through a magical bamboo forest and beautiful rainforest. Enjoy and Aloha!!!!

sigelr once bubbled...
just got back from Maui. We used Ed Robinson's and they do a great job. If reserving with them, be sure to clarify the diver to DM ratio you're booking. I just called and booked the dives unaware of any difference (they didn't ask me either) and it turns out that we were put on the 4-1 (vs. 6-1) ratio boats. Not a big deal, and the service was excellent but you do pay a little more ($10/person/divetrip) for the lower ratio. As to the diving, Lanai is a must. We did a site that (i believe) was called Lighthouse Point (or something like that) and saw lots of different and rare sealife -- sharks, male and female whitley boxes, bandit angels, dark long nosed butterfly etc. etc. Did Cathedrals 2 for the second dive. One thing to be aware of is that there is far less actual coral and almost no sponges, seafans etc. as compared to the Caribbean. Also, while others were "Oohing and Aahing" about the viz, I actually thought it was less than what I've been used to in the Caribbean (Caymans, Grand Turk, Cozumel etc.). That said, I saw types of sealife that I had never seen anywhere else so, in my opinion, it all balaces out. Snorkeling and shore diving is great at Honolua Bay which is North of Kaanapali beach. You can get tanks at the Maui dive shop in Whalers village or Kahana. When not diving, try some of the hiking trails. We hiked to a 400 ft. waterfall by going through a magical bamboo forest and beautiful rainforest. Enjoy and Aloha!!!!

Did you do anthing special to get your gear out to Honolua Bay, or did you just carry it from the car to the beach? (It seems like it would be a bit of a hike with all of one's gear on)

--Ted

Last year my two teenage sons (at that time, 13&15) and I dived Honlua and they made it up and down the hill with no problems. Remember, you aren't carrying a lot of lead :)

Craig

Most people dive from the boat ramp area at honolua and avoid the cliffs. That is a near flat walk of maybe 10 minutes at most. Probably less than that.

I'm 57 and had zero problems getting my gear to the water and back. Just before the boat ramp I would vear left or right to avoid the larger rocks at the ramp. That made the entry super easy.

don't remember seeing a boat ramp at honolua bay but in any case, the walk is not too bad. try to get there before 9am as you see more stuff and you're likely to get a place to pull your car up near the trail - otherwise it's a longer walk.

sigelr once bubbled...
don't remember seeing a boat ramp at honolua bay but in any case, the walk is not too bad. try to get there before 9am as you see more stuff and you're likely to get a place to pull your car up near the trail - otherwise it's a longer walk.

The boat ramp is right in the middle and very old and broken down. No one could use it for that these days.

Yep the earlier the better and spray some deet on you for the walk down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom