Just a vintage gear story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BillP

Reaction score
I had a dive buddy Don who started "skin" diving as a teenager in the 1950s. He still had his original gear with a double hose regulator, doubles without even a backplate- just canvas straps, oval black rubber mask with no nose pocket, and yellow gum-rubber Voit Duck Feet fins. He serviced his own gear and kept the old stuff in working order.

He delighted in telling the story of gearing up in his old gear and walking into the water, alone, at Windy Point on Lake Travis in Texas. He would dive out of sight, exit the water unseen, doff his gear, and walk back to where other divers were sitting to listen to the comments. "Did you see that old guy with the ancient gear?" "He's not back yet." "Think he's OK?"

We lost Don last year. He'll be missed.

sounds like a cool dude , like his sense of humor

@BillP

Great story ! A diver who lead the way for others to follow
I and other will appreciate your post

FYI
The original duck feet were gum rubber and tan color produced by Bud Brown in Laguna Beach California

He sold to Pacific Molded Products (PMP) in late 1950s

Willard Voit entered into a license agreement with PMP in 1961
At that time Voit diversified the duck feet fins …
Giant UDT were tan or black
Regulation (Smaller blades) were tan or black
Custom were black, tan blue or yellow to flimsy for diving and designed for use by surfers.

I am surprised at he Oval Mask- So many of that era used the Bud Brown designed and Voit also produced "Wide view"

I suspect you friend, as you recall him and his equipment, was some time after 1960

Sam Miller,III

ime and memories often have a way of getting away from

My friend, Roger Zeller, started diving as a kid in Los Angeles in the 1950's. He was also an L.A. County lifeguard. I met him at PDIC HQ when he ended up moving to Throop, PA after meeting a Pennsylvania girl while he was stationed in Germany with the US Army. He had a fun story about the day his mother found his Aqua-Lung under his bed. When she asked him what it was for she beat him upside the head for being "smart with her." She thought it was an automotive part. She didn't believe his "breathing underwater" story. Kids had better lives before video games and helicopter parenting. Glad your friend never lost his youthful prankster nature. (@Sam Miller III Sam, did you know Roger?)

@Trace Malinowski
@BillP

Trace
I lived at that time and most of my life in Orange County directly south of LA county but 30-40 or more miles distant from the LA Co beaches.

I knew some of the LA Co Life guards who had successfully completed LA Co UICC or who were associated in some way with the LA Co UW UIA,

I don't recall Roger Zeller, but after reading your post he appears one who I would have like to have known and had as a member of the tribe.

My friend, stay wet and keep up the good work

chee

Back
Top Bottom