Just a moment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cold_H2O:
I have found more to make me beliver at 100' than I have ever found on a pew.

Ah, nothing like seeing the miracles of evolution to affirm people's faith in God. :D

Hi DOkie, I'm glad you found scuba diving; I love it.

My mother is recovery from Breast Cancer, even though she doesn't even SWIM she'll recline in her pool to say prayers and just let the world slide by! Theres something bout the water, I always find myself closerto God during my dives as well!

I need a bumper sticker that says "H2O is my religion"

Welcome to the board. I can very much appreciate your experience. Thanks for sharing it.

DOkie:
Sorry if this is something that isn't discussed here, but just thought I'd share one of the most "enlightening" moments of my life...

Both my husband and I were raised in strict religious homes, but for years now he's joked that he goes to the Church of Underwater Revival. (We rarely attend mass anymore). Because of some things that have happened in our lives, I believe that both of us had lost faith in anything "higher powered". I've underwent numerous surgeries for cancer (at age 29 and up), which led to our farm being foreclosed, he broke his back, etc. etc. etc... Recently we found out that our son's (he's 13) heart condition has been upgraded to terminal because he is not a candidate for a heart/lung transplant. (Just a little background)

Last Sunday, we went diving. I was letting everything get to me and was basically having a semi-private pity party. (Of course my husband would say it really wasn't all THAT private - ha ha) The waves turned really bad and my husband surfaced to talk to the captain of the boat for a couple of minutes leaving me on the bottom at 30'. I was having quite an arguement with "God" when I asked the stupid question (seriously) "Can't You just give me a few moments of peace"? This is no joke. A school of about 2000 pearch came out of nowhere and proceeded to "school" (for lack of better words) around me. It was so incredible that I could stick my arm out and they would swim around it making it disappear. They stayed within a foot of me on all sides. This lasted for what seemed to be 2 minutes and they were gone. I was so bummed because I couldn't share this with anyone until we got back on the boat and my husband said "I couldn't find you and then I saw you in the middle of all of those fish!!!! What was happening??" It was incredible and the Church of Underwater Revival has a new member. :)

Maybe He was telling you something?

Hi, Dokie
Carl Sagan, the famed astronomer, was conversing with a close friend about some issue. The friend made a statement that once again made it clear he was a believer in God. Sagan, with an incredulous tone, addressed his friend. "Sam, don't tell me that with all your education you believe in that stuff!"
The friend replied, "Carl, don't tell me that with all the wonders you've witnessed in the universe that you DON'T!"
Your experience is powerful, and it's similar to a huge number of similar ones we divers are privileged to witness often. Whether it's gazing into the eye of a whale at close range, or watching the incredible symbiosis and beauty of a dynamic ecosystem, or simply drifting in a sparkling mass of living light as bioluminescent life swirls around, the pure awesomeness of God's creation is apparent as we get into the water. I agree with Mike's post. I believe that you were extremely insightful to be listening as God whispered to you and proved that even in your moment of despair that as He loves you and He is listening. It's a powerful message.
That's why groups such as the one I belong to exist (Christian Divers of Texas). We see the spiritual in everything we do, including diving. As stated before, "how can we not?" I'm sorry that your "pew experiences" didn't provide the type of connection you needed. I'm thankful that diving has.
Bless you, and you are being thought of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom