http://www.diveheart.org/

Just 5 dollars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe he's a medical student at St. James School of Medicine, which is in Bonaire. I don't know him personally, but I've got a friend attending that school right now. The 2'nd semester class has a Facebook page, and they're posting about it, if anyone's interested. I'm posting this because when I see solicitations for donations I naturally wonder whether what I'm seeing is legit vs. some sort of scam. In this case, I believe it's quite legit.

It's also worth mentioning that medical school is a full time thing and I believe most of the St. James students don't have access to good loan programs (and don't qualify for U.S. federal loans, for example), so many are financially over-extended to live there & go to school (they spend 1 year, 4 months on Bonaire, then head to the U.S.). I point this out because some folks might think 'Well, if you're too cheap to get decent health insurance, that's too bad!' A lot of the students cannot afford decent health insurance. Unemployed in heavy debt is like that.

Here's hoping they get him home.

Richard.

I believe he's a medical student at St. James School of Medicine, which is in Bonaire.

Richard.

Which is sadly ironic that he can't get care.
I feel sorry for the kid and family- accidents anywhere are horrible but when they happen in a foreign country they are even worse. This doesn't mean I'm donating anything- if I was to donate every time I heard of an internet sob story, I would be ruined.

I'm really surprised that a medical student is not eligible for medical care in the university hospital.

If he is a member of DAN, he qualifies for TravelersAssist - $100,000 benefit to evacuate him, not just for dive accidents.

If he is not a diver, why would you post this here?

I'm really surprised that a medical student is not eligible for medical care in the university hospital.

I'm not familiar with Bonaire's hospital, but I wouldn't assume it's 'owned' or what-have-you by St. James. In fact, the St. James students do class work on Bonaire, then clinicials are back in the U.S. The guy was moved to Aruba, and the intent is to get him to the U.S. for needed care he's more apt to get in the U.S. (the linked web page explains it a bit). The situation with a Caribbean medical school is often far different from what you see with medical school setups in the U.S.

I have no idea whether he dove or not. I suspect the post was made on the forum because Bonaire is a fairly small place, known & enjoyed by many of us, and since they're trying to get him to the U.S. and it's said 'Bring Yusef home' I take it he's likely a U.S. citizen or similar, which may matter to some. It varies what 'shared affiliations' may move someone to help a person - fellow citizen, human being, student trying to better himself, victim of a tragedy, was on Bonaire, etc...

I understand SuperGaijin's point; there is no shortage of world horrors one might donate to. Hopefully this one will have a happy ending.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom