Jupiter Dive Rpt - The ' Bull Run '

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Every first week of May there's a short bull shark migration week from down south up the East Coast. That's the Deep ledge dive that we hit today. As soon as we back rolled, we started tapping on our guns. I'm banging on my plastic tank boot to bring the Sharks rushing up from the Reef below. This is the famous Jupiter Bull Run.

We were diving today with longtime friend and pro photographer Walt Sterns. I jumped in and was greeted by 5 bull sharks. Three of them said 'Fake News' and left. , Two of them stuck around just to see if anything was going to be harvested

Second dive I was on a shallow 60-foot Reef. Shot 2 nice size lions and a lemon shark showed up and was just pestering me the whole time for my fish. Even though I 'pushed' him off my bag with my gun butt twice. All these sharks and not a single Cobia seen today.

20210507_143945.jpg

Conditions today were 3-5's top side, ripping 4 knot current deep, 78 degrees and 80 feet of visibility. Lastly, boat food was 4 different kinds of meat kabobs, piping hot. Back to house projects this windy weekend.

20210506_185042.jpg

Sounds like a good day! About what lengths were the bull sharks?

Richard.
They are about 9ft long,,,but it's their impressive 'girth' that is nothing like any other shark in Jupiter. Their ?chest? is almost twice as big as their heads. Contrary to popular belief,,unless you are actively shooting fish and have a ringing dinner bell attached to you, it is very difficult to get a bull to come closer than 30 ft and makes photography beyond a challenge. Most divers choose video to capture the speed and size aspects. But it's really exciting to be in 80ft of clear viz, look down at them rushing up and wonder if they will stop or not !!

They are about 9ft long,,,but it's their impressive 'girth' that is nothing like any other shark in Jupiter. Their ?chest? is almost twice as big as their heads. Contrary to popular belief,,unless you are actively shooting fish and have a ringing dinner bell attached to you, it fis very difficult to get a bull to come closer than 30 ft and makes photography beyond a challenge. Most divers choose video to capture the speed and size aspects. But it's really exciting to be in 80ft of clear viz, look down at them rushing up and wonder if they will stop or not !!

Indeed!

I’m not a spearfisherman and it’s rare to get closer than 20’ from any of the bulls before they split. I typically get closest upon descent on Corridor, Princess Anne or Governors. Occasionally I see them cruising on the reefs in Boynton or Palm Beach but they don’t hang around.

I know black tip and spinner sharks start migrating north in March, but I can’t find anything on a Bull shark run?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom