Jup Rpt May 20 - Lionfish Opening Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Today is the opening day of the 4 month FWC lionfish tournament that's 100% free & Free Prizes. I jumped on Scuba Work's Divocean boat with no notice and joined the other hunters. I met up with Diego, Yvette, Gene, Kayla, April, Meme, Captain Tony, and the rest. Bit wavy when we left the inlet, but top-to-bottom visibility in the water. Small thermal at 74 degrees and only a knot and a half of current. June and July are usually our best months for lionfish hunting. I only got six lionfish today cuz all the bad-azzed women on the boat were stuffing their ZooKeepers! This year the official submission form has a sticker instead of a stamp and I got my first one. It ends after Labor Day weekend.

20220520_115010.jpg

Thanks to all for working to keep those buggers in check!!

Great job Johnolly! I'm in the tournament this year too. Went out Saturday with Narcosis and managed 10. Looking forward to stuffing a whole bunch more in m zoo keeper this summer.

This year the official submission form has a sticker instead of a stamp and I got my first one. It ends after Labor Day weekend.
Could you elaborate on this please. I thought it was a coin after so many caught.

Could you elaborate on this please. I thought it was a coin after so many caught.

To turn in your tails to an official drop-off shop we do the following.

* Cut the tails off leaving a thin line of fillet meat attached
* Put those tails in a sandwich sized baggie with name, qty, date & I put my phone#
* Bring your baggie and a printed copy of the official “Tail Verification” form to the shop
* The shop will verify qty, fill out the shop name, shop employee name & signature.
* Lastly there is a small white box on the form. The shop will place an official FWC sticker to prove you turned in your tails. They will make a copy and then hand you back the original form that you need to KEEP until the end of the tournament incase there is a count discrepancy.
* When you get home after turning in your baggie of tails, you scan the verified form and upload it onto a special page of the FWCreefrangers website which is really easy to do. It takes a business day or 2 for your tally to show up on the leader board.

In previous years the small white box was an “ink stamp” not a sticker, so technically they couldn't “Run Out” of ink stamps. But this year it is a sticker and most shops received around ?50? stickers. In Jupiter those stickers may be gone in a week. And they come from Tallahassee. No sticker available then you can't verify your form. For you guys the drop-off shops are Force E & Dixie Divers, so really close by.

The fun of the tournament is that it's 4 months long so you can keep checking the leaderboard and see all your friends names on it and see what they are turning in. Especially when it gets neck and neck close and there is some friendly banter that encourages each other to get out there and go diving!!

Did I mention it's 100% free and there are free tier prizes for everyone also like nice shirts, coins after 25 tails. Then further quanty tiers are fillet knives, dive flags, 1st aid kits, pole spears, gloves, gas cards, zookeepers, and $400 Yeti Coolers? 100% FREE !!

Here's my 1st form picture

20220520_124813.jpg

.. Went out Saturday with Narcosis and managed 10.
Dang, It's the 1st weekend & I'm getting my butt kicked by everyone already !! :swordfight:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom