June diving in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabum2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I spent a few weeks in Anilao in November '06 and fell in love with the diving in that area. I was looking at coming back in June, but was told by my operator that the seas in that area would be too rough during the first part of June.

Two questions:
Is this advice accurate?
If so, any suggestions on diving some of the other islands in June that would be similar to diving in Anilao? I'm looking for not much current so I can take lots of macro and fish portraits.

Thanks, Mark

Anilao is fine to dive during June. I wouldn't say it is too rough to dive around that time. I did my checkout dive in July. Though June is the beginning of the rainy season, and the weather is really hit or miss.

Puerto Galera is another option for you but it's just across the Batangas Channel on the island of Mindoro so I don't know if the weather change would be that different from Anilao. Dumaguete is another great place for macro. You can search for more info on these two locales here in the PPD as they have been discussed quite a bit before.

Hope that helps.

June is cool.....well, all the other months are cool...as long as there is no typhoon..<hehe>

Thanks for the tips - I spent the night in PG on the Anilao trip and it was nice, but a bit claustrophobic and we dove with too many new divers. The UW pace was very hectic - constantly moving from spot to spot with barely enough time to snap a few photos.

I'm wanting something similar to another poster, ngfl3, that is, a place where I can take my time shooting photographs. A resort with a decent house muck dive that is accessible day and night would be ideal. Club Ocellaris in Anilao has no muck dive but liberal shore diving. Unfortunately, they discouraged coming there in June.

If you really would like to get back to Anilao, Planet Dive and Balai Resort have 2 great dive sites in front of their resort. Planet Dive offers an unlimited shore diving package. The dive site is Twin Rocks and one of the better sites in Anilao imo.

As for Dumaguete, check out Pakman's trip report to Atlantis in Dumaguete. El Dorado is another resort that people here have tried. Also check out the threads of Diver Dennis too, since he has quite a lot of pictures from there. I'm missing a lot of threads about Dumaguete but a quick search will yield plenty of results.

Hope that helps.

As far as shore diving goes, I think I've swam out to Twin Rocks once (and it was a nice day) and then done a couple of helicopter dives in front of AquaV.

That's the extent of my shore diving knowledge in Anilao. :D

Back
Top Bottom