Jun. 16, 2011 Nanaimo River photos/report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent report Mark. Andrew and I have batted the idea of doing a river dive as well to try and swim with the sturgeon but the thought of being hooked or caught up in steel leader line keeps sobering us up :) One of my goals (maybe this summer) is to load up on stages and drift dive the canal between Okanagan and Skaha lakes. 15' for 2-3 hr's?

I can really relate to your comments about finding that sort of dive interesting. I have also seen those freshwater encrusting sponges many times. Like underwater lichen. Once, I even saw what I think was an aggregate super colony of Volvox. Even though it I have never found a reference to something that large it was the only organism that comes close to what I saw (about the size of a softball).
There are many strange things to see in freshwater.

Very cool report. If you do decide to return when the salmon are running checking the DFO website and making sure that section of river is closed to angling would be wise. I attempted an investigation of my favorite sturgeon site in January but 33 degree water and current made it a very short dive.

I did a quick internet search on that place. Sounds interesting, but is it true that the local bylaws state that you have to be intoxicated if you want to hang out there? I was wondering if it would be good enough if I just brought some empty cans of Lucky Lager with me to throw in the river, or if there are bylaw officers with breathalyzers? Maybe I could gain entry by putting on a ball cap and swearing really loudly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom