July Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Bussinger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Howdy Y'all,

I'm a beginner basic water diver and looking to go on a diving Vacation around the first week of July. I have read some of the other threads and have noticed that Key Largo and West Palm/Jupiter seem to have some good diving. My question is are these areas good for beginners and should I visit both locations or just stick with one. I have logged 9 dives with 4 ocean dives in Belize. I am wanting to do quite a bit of diving and was considering diving with Rainbow Reef in Key largo for 4 days then driving up to West Palm for 3 days. Do you guys have any recommendations for me or recommend dive companies? Thanks for the help.

Thanks,
Eric

Hi Eric!

Given your experience level I would highly recommend Rainbow Reef in Key Largo. It's a great location and a great operation to build up your experience. If you want to also do some drift diving in Palm Beach I'd recommend Pura Vida and stick to their 50-60' trips initially.

Make sure each operator knows your experience level so that they can best cater to your needs and ensure you have a safe, enjoyable trip!

Howdy Y'all,

I'm a beginner basic water diver and looking to go on a diving Vacation around the first week of July. I have read some of the other threads and have noticed that Key Largo and West Palm/Jupiter seem to have some good diving. My question is are these areas good for beginners and should I visit both locations or just stick with one. I have logged 9 dives with 4 ocean dives in Belize. I am wanting to do quite a bit of diving and was considering diving with Rainbow Reef in Key largo for 4 days then driving up to West Palm for 3 days. Do you guys have any recommendations for me or recommend dive companies? Thanks for the help.

Thanks,
Eric

Hi Eric
I will double down on what @JimBlay and @Lostdiver71 have said. Key Largo is a great place to built up dives and drift diving off West Palm is wonderful, but be sure and have your buoyancy dialed in before drift diving. I would also try and include Blue Heron Bridge if the conditions and timing are right as it is some of the best muck diving around. For a great guide to BHB, I would recommend @Scuba_Jenny. Best of luck and give us a report if you can. Be safe

Hi @Eric Bussinger

One additional thing that nobody has mentioned is that Rainbow Reef and Pura Vida put a guide in the water. At your level of experience, you may not be an independent diver.

Most of the operators in West Palm put a guide in the water, none in Boynton Beach do. Some of the operators in Key Largo supply a guide, some don't, you would have to inquire.

Here is an old, but excellent report on Rainbow Reef by @drrich2 Diving Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center Since then, Rainbow Reef acquired Ocean Divers and offers even more opportunities for diving

I agree with all of the above. No better place to GET YOUR FEET WET than Key Largo and Rainbow Reef Dive Center :)

Howdy all,

So I had a bit of a change in plans. Due to covid related supply shortages I was informed tonight that I'm on a temporary lay off (w/ pay) for at lest next week. I contacted rainbow reef and they were able to get me scheduled for 19 dives next week (luxury of single life!). I decided to stick with RR on the shallow reef dives to gain some experience.

@scubadada That article you linked was a good read.

You will have a blast! We are here now and having a great time :)

Howdy all,

So I had a bit of a change in plans. Due to covid related supply shortages I was informed tonight that I'm on a temporary lay off (w/ pay) for at lest next week. I contacted rainbow reef and they were able to get me scheduled for 19 dives next week (luxury of single life!). I decided to stick with RR on the shallow reef dives to gain some experience.

@scubadada That article you linked was a good read.

Have fun and give us a trip report when you get back. Be safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom