July 9 Willis Pt pictures.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas:
Wow that is dark! What depth are you at?

The first picture with the Cloud Sponge 115'. The rest between 65 to 100 ft.
The viz only clear up at about 45ft. So the layer of particle from 0 to 45 ft stop most of light.

Hey Swank, how do you stop your camera from fogging? I've taken mine down 5 times now, and it has fogged 4 times. The 4th time down I used a silica gel, which seemed to do the trick. However, today, I used 4 packs (stuffed them in there), and it did nadda.

Today I packed my camera inside (not at the humid site), used defogging liquid on my lense, and then had 4 (perhaps old) silica gel packs. Yet, it still fogged. All I can think of is getting better gel, but if you have any other advice, I'd be curious.

Cheers,
ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
Hey Swank, how do you stop your camera from fogging? I've taken mine down 5 times now, and it has fogged 4 times. The 4th time down I used a silica gel, which seemed to do the trick. However, today, I used 4 packs (stuffed them in there), and it did nadda.

Today I packed my camera inside (not at the humid site), used defogging liquid on my lense, and then had 4 (perhaps old) silica gel packs. Yet, it still fogged. All I can think of is getting better gel, but if you have any other advice, I'd be curious.

Cheers,
ChillyWaters
I had a problem with that a few times a couple of years ago. It happened when I left my camera housing in the summer sun before a dive (the clear Ikelite housings are like greenhouses). The inside heated up and when I went in the water there was a tiny leak (all it took was a drop or two). This combination of moisture and warm air created humidity which condensed on the inside of the dome when the dome was cooler than the air (from being immersed in cold water). I fixed the leak and it never fogged up again. Unless you're loading the camera in the housing in a humid environment (like a sauna or in an open boat with spray) I have no idea why yours fogs up. If you're using a digital camera it might produce some heat which would increase the temperature of the air inside the housing causing a greater temperature differential between the inside air and the cold water. This might cause fogging even with normal humidity air. I don't know. (I think I had that problem once with a video camera on auto-focus). The silica gel packs can become saturated just by being exposed to normal air over time. I would put them in the oven on low heat (with the door open) for 10 minutes or so to dry them out before putting them in the housing. Too bad housings didn't come with little internal windshield wipers for when the mermaid riding a six-gill swims by.

swankenstein:
I had a problem with that a few times a couple of years ago. It happened when I left my camera housing in the summer sun before a dive (the clear Ikelite housings are like greenhouses). ... The silica gel packs can become saturated just by being exposed to normal air over time. I would put them in the oven on low heat (with the door open) for 10 minutes or so to dry them out before putting them in the housing. Too bad housings didn't come with little internal windshield wipers for when the mermaid riding a six-gill swims by.

Thanks for the advice. I do have a digital cam with clear housing, and probably did leave it out in the heat (on the roof of my _black_ car) for a while before the dive. Though, for added measure, I ordered proper gel packs, as seem popular in the photography forum. Little money for much comfort.

And yup, I'll contact Canon regarding the "wipers" idea.

- ChillyWaters

swankenstein:
. Too bad housings didn't come with little internal windshield wipers for when the mermaid riding a six-gill swims by.
If you see that you're too deep buiddy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom