Josephine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oilman66:
According to the MMS website, the remains of the Josephine are between Ship Island and Horn Island, Mississippi in 38 fsw. Have any of you ever dove this site, and if so, what about GPS coodinates?

Mapserver.maptec.com

That shows an obstruction between ship and horn islands in 34-35 ft of water at 30.205505* N and 88.8311* W

But I'm just guessing...

paulwall:
Mapserver.maptec.com

That shows an obstruction between ship and horn islands in 34-35 ft of water at 30.205505* N and 88.8311* W

But I'm just guessing...

Thanks for the info, I'm going to investigate this further

paulwall:
Mapserver.maptec.com

But I'm just guessing...

I've done some checking by referencing the NOAA website (AWOIS database) and found that there are a lot of boats, barges, and other crap submerged in the area. Some have names, but most are listed as "Obstructions". When I get in from offshore this time, I'll be signing up for AOW, but in a couple of months I'll be starting to explore some of these sites. I didn't find anything listed at the above coordinates, but some fairly close.
If anyone is interested, here's the database. Just enter chart #'s 11372, 11373, or 11374. This covers the Ship/ Horn Island areas. http://historicals.ncd.noaa.gov/awois/awoisdbsearch.asp

This is an old post, but I have dived it and am trying to get the GPS from a friend. He lost a cable to his GPS and needs to find another to get the numbers.

Definately a worthy thread to revive :) Looking forward to an update.

How was the dive on it? What kind of relief? What kind of debri?

If you can get the numbers, I have the boat...Salty Dawg needs to make a trip out there!!!

I've done some checking by referencing the NOAA website (AWOIS database) and found that there are a lot of boats, barges, and other crap submerged in the area. Some have names, but most are listed as "Obstructions".

I think that NOAA lists anything underwater it finds that is not identified as an "Obstruction" until they dive it later and identify it.

Since this post was started in 2005, I imagine that thinks have changed a lot in the gulf with many more sunk oil platforms, etc from recent years hurricanes.

I should have the numbers tomorrow or the day after.

Definately a worthy thread to revive :) Looking forward to an update.

How was the dive on it? What kind of relief? What kind of debri?

39 feet. Vis was poor both times. Current was ripping on both dives. Watching and planning around the tides should help that. The paddlewheels are intact with "spikes" still sticking up. Not much hull above the sand. There are a lot of nets hanged on the wheels. After studying the sidescan and the pics of the actual boat, I think this wreck still needs to be identified. The paddlewheels are wrong on this wreck. I wanted to measure and probe this site, but Katrina changed everything. Read the MMS teacher's resource and see if you can find other discrepancies in the identification of this. Sounds like a new adventure huh? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom