Jonathan Bird Testimonial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob Evans

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!

Attachments

• uu-38-fw.jpg
    uu-38-fw.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 115
but why must they be soooooo expensive? just seems outrageous...I mean, I know there's a lot of science and what not going on there...but still....290 for a pair of fins?

Made in USA (not just assembled). Small scale production. It is what it is. I have two pairs, one new and one several years old. The old one is just as snappy as the new one.

but why must they be soooooo expensive? just seems outrageous...I mean, I know there's a lot of science and what not going on there...but still....290 for a pair of fins?
Thank you. I just recently asked Susanne Chess to increase the Force Fin Prices. I do think this is a good time for a Blog on why our Force Fins are so expensive. The main reason is the Hand Casting Poly-Urethane. I call it Liquid GOLD. Let me finish the Blog on the Flying Force Fin which is priced at $489.95 Wow...But took some friends to dinner last night and the bill was around $ 290. The value of the evening was worth it, but my investement in food is now gone. Where with a pair of American Made Force Fins they might last up to 20 years of enjoyment...FLYING FORCE FIN – Force Fin

Attachments

• bob-sus-flag-2458.jpg
    bob-sus-flag-2458.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 123
Again, thank you..working on a BLOG answer on Forcefin.com. Wow you have me thinking again on why I wasted so many years and not to make much money for Susanne and I but made Millions for others. Our cost of Goods is around $125.00 per pair. We have a wholesale price and no real future in investment in new tooling we are just riding the wave at this time. So with a investment of over $ 750,000 plus and 39 years of hard work, what do you think I should charge ? Other rubber/plastic fins cost around $16.00 to $ 27.00 dollars (overseas) with a 400% margin Our margin is 40-50 %. Someone can correct me on cost. It's been a long time since I looked at other company cost. Back to the Blog....

Attachments

• shoe-fin.jpg
    shoe-fin.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 106
Again, thank you..working on a BLOG answer on Forcefin.com. Wow you have me thinking again on why I wasted so many years and not to make much money for Susanne and I but made Millions for others. Our cost of Goods is around $125.00 per pair. We have a wholesale price and no real future in investment in new tooling we are just riding the wave at this time. So with a investment of over $ 750,000 plus and 39 years of hard work, what do you think I should charge ? Other rubber/plastic fins cost around $16.00 to $ 27.00 dollars (overseas) with a 400% margin Our margin is 40-50 %. Someone can correct me on cost. It's been a long time since I looked at other company cost. Back to the Blog....
I can't tell if you're upset with me and being sarcastic, or if you're seriously just trying to help me understand why they cost so much...

I can't tell if you're upset with me and being sarcastic, or if you're seriously just trying to help me understand why they cost so much...
I am seriously working on this subject, and now is a good time to share. This issue has bugged me for years, since I was so dumb to not look at the real cost of making Force Fins. Always trying to justify the cost. So thank you so much,,this is not sarcastic, Maybe reviewing the true cost for this Blog it might be a good time to call it quits..not joking. Have a great weekend and be safe. best, bob

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 105
DogBone, working on a great responce, forgot how we had to hand trim each pair of Force Fins. Polyurehtane is 6 times more abrasive resistance that steel, and is used in mining operations. Touch stuff, I liked to saw into a plastic fin and cut in half qickly..will make a video for you to show how tuff we are. Had to keep our trimming tool sharp with sandpaper. Ran the tool into my hand many times, trimming. 12 minutes to trim one pair. At the time we were moving 200 pairs each day out the door. That's 400 fins to trim. Many times Robert Flores and I had to come down from our shop and help the crew trim. I must have trimmed over 200,000 Force Fin parts. Anynew designs were mine to trim. This Trimming operation took real skill and many steps. I am warmed up on this subject...Passion to do the right job yourself if need be,

Attachments

• 16.jpg-fw.jpg
    16.jpg-fw.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 126
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom