Johnson Shut ins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dancytron

New
Reaction score
I am writing a comment to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on the rebuilding of Taum Sauk reservoir. If you don't already know, Johnson's shut ins State Park was pretty much destroyed when the TS reservoir breached and dumped a billion gallons of water into the park. Google Taum Sauk for more info.

I wonder if anyone could point me to any trip reports or photo galleries of people scuba diving there? One point I'd like to make is that the water quality wasn't just ok or good enough before the breach, but truly unique to the point the it attracted scuba divers. Statements like, "as clear as the Florida Keys" and some photo's would be perfect.

Thanks,

Dan

I'd like to see photos too. That's the first place I ever saw scuba divers and got the urge to dive.

I haven't dove there but I did snorkel it a few times. The entire Black River is very clear most of the time, not just the shut-inns. I haven't heard any first hand reports since the big flood.
When I say "clear" I mean about 15' maybe 20' tops. It's very good for Missouri water, but I doubt that it would rival the keys. And the basin was not very big. It's hard to say what it is like now.
I hope someone who has been there lately could update us on the conditions.
By the way, I have seen pictures on line of people diving there. I will try to find them.

Yup, but you must realize that our water is never going to be as clear as the keys when it comes to diving. The only place that happens is Bon Terre Mines, outside of that in a lake or body of water open to the surface 10 - 30 feet of vis is normally the best any of them experience. Some rare vis above that can happen but I wouldn't take that to the bank.

You can of course say what you want to say, but the facts are our vis just isn't anything to write home about in comparison the keys.

Night diving there is pretty spectacular, but during the day the sun reflects off the particles suspended in the water to much. I have dove there and in the Current River with much the same results. At night the vis is probably 40 to 60 feet.

Is it even leagal to dice here anymore? I'm thinking about hauling all the necessary equipment there but I need to make sure first

Is it even leagal to dice here anymore? I'm thinking about hauling all the necessary equipment there but I need to make sure first
A friend and I dove there in 1977. It was our first dive before getting certified. I'm thinking about going sometime this summer just to check it out.

Now, there is a name from the past. I used to play and dive in Johnson's Shut Ins in the mid to late 60s, and always found it a joy to spend several hours there. I was very saddened to hear the damage cause by the breach, and have always hoped it could be restored. Probably just wishful thinking on my part, because when you dump that much water in an area like the Shut Ins, it likely would never recover to what it was.

I know this post is ancient. And the OP has not been seen since 2007. So this answer will be completely pointless.

But yes, there is a published article on diving the Johnson Shut ins. In the mid 90's there was a publication called "underwater USA", printed on newspaper stock. I remember it as I was living in the KC area at the time and it was almost local. Then I moved to AZ and it didn't matter anymore. Then there was the breach, and now nothing is left.

Back
Top Bottom