Joe Strykowski, author, instructor, adventurer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Joe Strykowski authored the first "manual", Diving for Fun, and with the US Navy manual, many of us civilians used to learn how to dive (through PADI) in the late sixties. He was one of my initial instructors.

Picture_31.png
Authour of: Diving For Fun; Manatee: A First Book; Palaces Unsder the Sea: A guide to Understanding the Coral reef Environment; Divers and Cameras among others.

Reunion, Madagascar - Quen Cultra has spent a good portion of his life building a pair of oceangoing sailboats at his home amid eastern Illinois' corn fields and piloting them around the world.

Now his relatives and U.S. Coast Guard officials say they're looking for the 69-year-old Quen Cultra of Gilman and marine naturalist Joe Strykowski of Crystal River, Fla., who they say are missing in the Indian Ocean after one of those crafts capsized in a storm off Madagascar.

Another member of the crew, 56-year-old Leo Sherman of Gilman, Ill., was found Thursday clinging to the hull of the vessel, a 43-foot catamaran called the Queequeg II.

After swimming into the capsized boat a week ago Friday, French naval divers have given up their search, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

"They did numerous dives into the vessel and were not able to locate anybody inside the boat," Petty Officer Stephanie Strivens said Friday from Miami. The Coast Guard station there received an emergency signal from the boat via satellite and alerted rescue crews on Reunion, a French-controlled island east of Madagascar.

Divers searched for the two missing men Friday, said Strykowski's daughter, Nicole, of Oregon state, but their efforts turned up nothing. She said her family is distraught over the decision to call off the search. They hold firm to the belief that her father could be alive.

"This is not your average man lost at sea. This is someone with a really good shot of surviving," she said, adding that her father always stressed safety first.

She said Cultra and her father have been friends for 40 years.

Strykowski, 76, who lives in Florida, is the author of a number of books on diving and the environment. He holds a doctorate in environmental studies and is the founder of The Star Thrower Foundation, a non-profit dedicated to the preservation and protection of ocean wildlife. His daughters said he grew up in Portage Park and has always considered Chicago his home base despite his extensive travels.

"He lived his life on boats and in the water," Nicole Strykowski said. "He's an adventurer."

Coast Guard officials say a private vessel pulled Sherman from the hull of the catamaran. Sherman told his rescuers that Cultra was swept overboard Tuesday.

"They said he was swimming toward the vessel and then a very large wave came and took him under and they didn't see him again," Petty Officer James Harless told The (Kankakee) Daily Journal.

According to the Coast Guard, Sherman said he and Strykowski spent the next day and a half in the vessel's cabin before deciding that the water inside was rising too high and they needed to swim out.

Sherman said the two were attached at their waists by a rope, but he never saw Strykowski after they left the cabin.

Sherman's daughter, Melissa Sherman said Friday she's still hopeful the other two men will be found alive. She declined to comment further.

Nicole Strykowski said her father and Cultra began their latest adventure in September 2007 and had tentatively planned to return to the United States this summer. The Web site Queequeg II - Around the World chronicled the trip.

I started diving in 1975, and the instructor used Joe's book for the class. I was fortunate to meet him in person in Crystal River while doing manatee tours. I hope he's OK. Rudy Banks

This is not a great thing to read on your Birthday. Joe has been a long time mentor to me and even convinced me to complete my Masters degree program. His books were not only used by PADI Instructors but by YMCA and many others before the advent of "branded" text books took over the scene. Even though the artwork was simple the information remainded clear, concise and complete. I would always call Joe up and have lunch with him when I was in Crystral River it was great having him just an hour away. I hope that he is out there somewhere waiting to be picked up and being distracted by all of the life around him - as always.

Frank J. Toal Jr.

I was certified in 1973 at the age of 13. The book my PADI instructor used was Diving For Fun by Joe Strykowski. I still have it as well as other books the he wrote. The family will be in my thoughts and prayers. May the Lord surround them with a hedge of protection and a peace that only the Lord can give. I hope that they are in the company of friends and other family members that can comfort them and give them the support they will need.

rexlyn

I'm shocked! I just found out about this from an e-mail. I remember Joe's laugh and his stories. I got to know him at YMCA SCUBA conventions.

Joe Strykowski,

I too had Diving for Fun as a manual when I took my first diving course. Joe, you taught me more about physics than all of my teachers put together...or at least in a way that I remember.

RIP and thank you,

c

I myself started diving in 1985, and the instructor used Joe's book for the class. I was fortunate to meet him in person in Crystal River while doing manatee tours. I hope he's OK.

Back
Top Bottom