Joe Citelli

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kensuf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Our friend Joe Citelli passed away on April 17, 2023. He was a wreck diver, deep wreck explorer, and cave diver. He was a pioneer both as a diver and a student, he was in the very first IANTD Trimix class taught by Tom Mount. He was also an educator, he was a Meg CCR instructor and instructor trainer, CCR Trimix instructor, and cave instructor. It was my pleasure to work with him on my path towards becoming a Meg instructor last fall, and I ran his crossover as a TDI cave instructor a year ago.

Although many people knew Joe for his exploits as a deep wreck diver, Joe was also very passionate about cave diving and served for several years as the chairman for the NSS-CDS. Under his stewardship the NSS-CDS overcame some of their most challenging days, they likely would not have survived without his firm but steady hand guiding the rudder.

But beyond being a heck of a diver, Joe was a dear friend to all that knew him. He enjoyed having people over to his place for BBQs, was always willing to provide advice and suggestions and would give anyone the shirt off his back.

He will be deeply missed.

I first met Joe when I was a young brand new cave diver. I didn’t know him well, but over the past decade, he always very supportive made a point to come over and say hi and check in to see how things were going when we bumped into each other. I only got to jump off a boat with him a few times, and never had the pleasure of a cave dive with him. We always said “next time we’re both in town, let’s plan something”. It never worked out, and I’m sad I didn’t make more of an effort. He really was one of the great ones, it’s hard to believe I’ll Never have a chance to go for that dive. A harsh reminder to try to spend more time with the people you share the water with, we never know how many opportunities we have left.

Joe was very well known in the industry and I'd see him at DEMA. One of the icons in our industry.

So very sad to hear this. I only met him once when he bought a trimix analyzer off of me, but I knew him by reputation for sure. He will be deeply missed.

I met Joe in 1994 diving the Reef Cat and over the years would be on the boat with him tech diving. We got to know each other more so because he/his company rebuilt automobile AC compressors and sold them and my family and I owned a gas station/repair shop at that time. So we knew a bunch of people in that industry and common experiences working in auto shops. We stayed friends over the years and would run into each other in Ft Lauderdale and helped him out a few times. Super nice guy. I went to see an Explorer’s Club presentation he and Mike were doing in Miami about locating super deep wrecks and reconnected. He was one of my sponsors to join the Explorers Club. Great guy, he will be missed. I am smiling thinking about a night dive on the Hydro Atlantic in 1995, off the Reef Cat, we did (well, we were diving solo :) ) That was a fun dive Joe!

My favorite Joe story was diving off the Spree on the Araby Maid, Joe was diving a homemade scooter, a Dago, and he was on the surface coming to the boat and not paying a lick of attention to where he was going. He cracked his noggin on the chine, shattered his mask, and got a red line of antifoulant across his forehead that he wore for the rest of the trip.

I’ll miss you Joe.

Very sorry to learn of Joe's passing. He always had a big smile and nice greeting to me and I appreciate his time and work with the NSS-CDS.

Very sad to hear about Joe's passing. Did my CCR Cave crossover with him. Joe was one of the nicest people I known. He will be sorely missed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom